Kate's Reviews > If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: 1945-2000, continental_eu, fiction, translation
Read in June, 2011

I felt ashamed not to enjoy it, but it was hard work all the way through. It might be my fault for not reading it earlier (i.e., before Cloud Atlas). Maybe you can only love one of the two and I used up my quota. At any rate it definitely feels like a personal failure not to have liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charles gosh I liked that book. Weird, imperfect, unbelievable, but creative and entrancing.

Charles One of my favorites. Bizarre, creative, interesting... genius.

Morgan It is no Invisible Cities. Honestly, as a big Calvino fan, this is my least favorite book of his.

Kate That's good to know!

Charles Thanks, Morgan. I was deciding which of Calvino's books to read next. I did not enjoy Cosmicomics at all. Have you read The Baron in the Trees?

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls I think Calvino fans split into those who prefer his fables and fable-like work, and those who dig his postmodern Oulipian experiments.

Charles Kudos to MJ for word selection and use! Oulipian was a word whose bell rung so faintly from my distant past that it necessitated refreshing my foggy memory. Perfect!

Morgan Cosmicomics is dry as a bone, but I found it to be more intriguing than IoaWNaT.

My favorites of those that I've read (in order): Invisible Cities (possibly my favorite book of all time), Marcovaldo, Mr Palomar, Baron in the Trees.