June Ahern's Reviews > V.I.T.R.I.O.L.

V.I.T.R.I.O.L. by Anne de Gandt

May 28, 2011

Read in May, 2011

V.I.T.R.I.O.L. by French author Anne de Gandt, is poetic story about a young woman struggling to have a full and meaningful life. Alas, she is held captive to her past, but cannot identify or articulate the demon holding her prisoner, keeping her from happiness and success. I had struggled with the French version with my limited French and was very happy to see an English translation. I reread within one day because I wanted to keep with the entire flow of this book, as flows so beautifully. One sentence opens to the next in such a way that it is difficult to put down. The story provoked a realization within me that perhaps it was time I too examined emotions that held me back -- ones that might keep me from living fully. The story is about a young woman who is stuck in her memories of childhood abuse. Her soul is empty, or so she feels, and her life is full of agony. She is lost in fearful images and, in the author's words, "in Hell". My heartstrings were tugged and pulled until I opened to look w within my own soul. The author stroked my soul with her vivid words. Beautiful well-written and poetic and at times, eerie. Ms. de Gandt is truly a fantastic writer who can creates a sense of romance, whilst also providing a story that is oddly frightening to one's senses. By the end I was feeling deeply fulfilled. ".. in the space of a promise finally kept." I look forward to more English translations of her writings.hing way. By the end I was feeling deeply fulfilled. ".. in the space of a promise finally kept." I look forward to more English translations of her writings.
The Skye in June

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read V.I.T.R.I.O.L..