Sarah's Reviews > The Chrysalids

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

May 28, 11

Read this in high school. Other than just being raised to accept people the way they are, I think this book is a large part of why I can't stand discrimination.
It's sort of like X-men...if you're a mutant you're different & people are scared of you. But the example I remember from the Chrysalids was having an extra toe. Yep. 6 toes on each foot. If you didn't fit the physical norm, the various authorities in this book were so terrified of another catastrophic event occurring that they would either kill you or sterilize you & send you away to the outskirts of civilization. The viewpoints in this book can be pretty extreme & therefore hard to see both sides of the coin. I have absolutely no sympathy for the 'norms' in this book. I get that it's post-apocalyptic & their reasoning is fear based, but I can't take it.
The mutants are constantly on the run, but all the time they are trying to learn & discover things about what makes them different. They search for more people like themselves to try and help. (Maybe I'm on their side because I have a physical abnormality myself.)
This book was quite hard for me to read. I don't think I would re-read it just because it would infuriate me. Fantastic conflict in this book, but it was too much for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chrysalids.