Wendy's Reviews > Palestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape

Palestinian Walks by Raja Shehadeh

May 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, memoir, middle-east, non-fiction
Read from May 09 to 29, 2012

For anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of the on-the-ground facts in the Palestinian Territories, this book is an excellent resource. The author does a really beautiful job of sharing how the landscape has changed over the past 40-50 years. His dedication and perserverence is really impressive, though also heartbreaking since he knew he was fighting a losing battle, yet still he continued to try. He ultimately chose to channel his energies into his writing and his passion and love for the land and the Palestinian people really shines through. You can feel his heartache and his sadness come through on the page.

I wish he would consider publishing a companion book to this one in which the places that he talks about could be shown in photographs so that the reader can see for themselves how these places looked before and after the results of the Occupation. It really made me curious to want to see all of this, and it makes me sad to think that even if I went there to visit today, all I would be able to see is how it looks today, I would not know how things used to look.

For the generation growing up under the Occupation, who know nothing different, it is very sad that this new landscape will be all that they know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palestinian Walks.

05/11/2012 "I'm off to a slow start with this one, but need to put it on hold for a couple of weeks since I have a couple of others from the library that are due back soon and can't be renewed. I look forward to getting back to this one soon though!"
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy A travel book that evokes sadness and emotions. Might take a peek at it. :-)

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Nice review Wendy. I was struck by his eloquence particularly in the last 1/3 or so of the book as he deals with what will be his response to all that is happening around him. I plan to read this again someday.

Wendy Sue wrote: "Nice review Wendy. I was struck by his eloquence particularly in the last 1/3 or so of the book as he deals with what will be his response to all that is happening around him. I plan to read this a..."

This is probably a book that could be re-read every so often and you would get something more out of it each time. A really powerful piece of writing.

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars