Jill's Reviews > Lethal

3820197
Jan 18, 14

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, 2011-4-5-5-stars
Read on September 20, 2011

Is this Sandra Brown's best novel ever? Quite possibly.
Is this my favourite Sandra Brown? Most probably.
Is Lee Coburn my favourite Sandra Brown hero? Indubitably.

Lee Coburn is a dangerous man. Accused of killing seven people, he's on the run. When Honor Gillette's four year-old daughter Emily spies a man outside their house, Honor cautiously investigates. Coburn has not turned up at her place by accident. She has something he wants, something valuable her late husband hid. But Honor knows nothing. To complicate matters Coburn has no idea what it is he's actually searching for.

If this isn’t Sandra Brown's best, it sure comes close. With a plot involving drug and people trafficking, crooked cops and a faciliator known as the Bookkeeper, this is a great suspense. To bring down this operation Coburn and Honor are in a race against the clock.

For me Sandra Brown's two greatest strengths as a writer are her characterisations and dialogue. From the main characters Coburn and Honor, the large cast of secondary characters to the cute-as-a-button Emily, these characters are fleshed-out and real. Coburn is very much a classic Brown hero - insensitive, intelligent, brusque, a smartarse. She does these gruff alphas very well, but she may have just about outdone herself with Coburn.

Her dialogue is always convincing and believable, with her signature snappy one-liners.

"I don't believe you. You can't be a cop."
"Not a cop."
"Federal agent?"
"FBI."
"Even more unlikely."
"J. Edgar rolls over in his grave every day, but that's the way it is."

For readers who love to see their romances end with a sweetly tied bow, this one may disappoint. The ending has an 'open' HEA in the sense that though we know they end up together - afterall, this is a romance - we don't actually get to see it.

Sandra Brown is one of the iconic writers of romantic suspense. Lethal delivers the romance with a great story. Highly recommended.

Steam: 2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lethal.

Jill Depends on the title. Her very early ones, don't bother. They are 'classic' 80s and early 90s romance novels. Very dated. The later ones, yes. Also depends on what you want to read in a novel. Lethal I read last night and is an excellent romantic suspense.

What's the title of the Sandra Brown you have?

Jill Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

The positives -
- very well-written
- loved the hero - atypical, he's disabled (legs), brusque, crude, yet likable (at least for me)
- a story within a story
- a few really good twists

The not-so-positives -
- the heroine is good, just not great, falls in love with hero thru reading his book - that didn't work for me
- while I loved the 'bonus' of the story with in a story it did slow down the pacing of the story

Bottom line: I recommend reading it. But as always the only way to find out, is to read it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter It's been quite a while since I read a Sandra Brown book... :)) Nice review, Jill.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I think the last one I read was The Chill Factor.

Jill Thanks Baba. I am a big fan of Sandra Brown, maybe you can tell! But this is excellent. And I loved Chill Factor. For some romance readers there's not enough romance and sex scenes in her books. But for me her writing, her stories make up for that.

Judi I love Sandra Brown! You make this sound sooo good.

Jill Hey Judi, glad you're a fan of SB! I admit I'm a bit of fangirl. Just something about her characters - especially her heroes really do it for me. And Coburn is just yummy.

Hope you get to read it. Love to know what you think.

Anne OK Great review, Jill! I'm so excited to start reading "Lethal." I've made myself wait until in the morning to start it because I know once I do, I won't put it down.

I'm a Sandra Brown fan from way back. Even when she was writing those "early ones." I like the way her writing has progressively gotten better and better. Are there books of late that have been a disappointment to me? Yes, several. But as with anything else, you either quit or move on. I'm glad I've moved on with Ms. Brown. If not, I would have missed some great reading. Many didn't care for "Rainwater" but I loved how she stepped away from her comfort zone and told a story dear to her heart . . . and did it well.

Jill Hi Anne! It's so great to meet fans of Sandra Brown. Like you I just couldn't wait to read Lethal. Paid a stupidly high price for the e-book (cos I couldn't wait for the library) and then stayed up till around 2am. Couldn't put it down.

I've been a fan forever. And read those cheesy 80s books she wrote. But you're absolutely right she has evolved, her writing now I think, is at its best. And I loved Rainwater, despite its sadness.

Hope you enjoy Lethal as much as I did.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Thanks Baba. I am a big fan of Sandra Brown, maybe you can tell! But this is excellent. And I loved Chill Factor. For some romance readers there's not enough romance and sex scenes in her books. Bu..."

Jill,
I have to agree. I really liked Chill Factor. The last "action" scene was heart-stopping good. But I understand the issue regarding 'not enough romance and sex scenes'. Because that's true. Nevertheless, her writing style IS really great. I read a lot of her books 15 years ago.

Maldivianbookreviewer Great review Jill.
I have yet to buy my copy.
Totally swamped with books I HAVE TO READ! *sigh*

message 12: by Jill (last edited Sep 22, 2011 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Mbr! I know the feeling. I got a number of books read and reviewed over the weekend just so I could be free to read this. And I'm also busy with work this week!! I had to sacrifice something, so naturally the sleep had to go.

Maldivianbookreviewer I came home from work, determined that I would put everything aside and read Lethal. But once I logged on to Amazon to get a copy, I changed my mind. Almost 15$ for a Kindle copy??
Sheesh! At this rate I would have to sell a vital organ to buy my next book :(

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I know! So expensive! This is by far the most expensive book I've bought for Kindle. I hesitated for about 30 seconds before I clicked buy!

Hey, I wonder if it is able to be loaned. You're more than welcome to borrow mine. I'll check it out and get back to you Mbr.

Maldivianbookreviewer Thanks Jill.
I guess I will get this one when I get my next paycheck if not. *sigh*

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Sorry Mbr, it's not lending enabled. Which sucks.
Hope you're able to get it soon!

Maldivianbookreviewer Thanks Jill for checking it out for me :)
What I do is always strip the book of DRM to lend it to my close friends who share the same reading tastes.

message 18: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi I just broke down and bought the hardcover from the Book Depo. 7-10 days shipping and I should have it in my hot little hands.

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Judi, I think you will love it. I hope! I know the feeling about breaking down and buying it. $14.99 for the e-book!!!! Outrageous!

message 20: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi It was 16.34 for hardcover and I don't think that is that bad considering you paid almost that much for e-bbok.

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill You definitely got the better deal. Happy reading. Look forward to your review.

Crista Thanks for this great review! I just finished this book...what a rush:)

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Crista! I adored Lethal, one of SB's best imo.

the_cat You gals are a walking danger for my TBR mountain and my pocket :0

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill the_cat wrote: "You gals are a walking danger for my TBR mountain and my pocket :0"

@ the_cat
But what a way to go. Buried under a pile of books, poor but happy!

the_cat Jill wrote: But what a way to go. Buried under a pile of books, poor but happy!"

LOL

message 27: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne This great review has me wanting to read this now:)! Hopefully, I can get to it very soon. Wonderful review, Jilly

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "This great review has me wanting to read this now:)! Hopefully, I can get to it very soon. Wonderful review, Jilly"

Thanks KatLynne, I'm sure you'll enjoy this!

Blacky *Romance Addict* OMG I want to read this now!!!! It sounds so interesting! Thanks so much for this rec Jill! Awesome review :D

message 30: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "OMG I want to read this now!!!! It sounds so interesting! Thanks so much for this rec Jill! Awesome review :D"

Thanks Blacky! As you can tell I'm a big fan of SB and I loved this one!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Yup :) I think I'll read this one first (well, when I manage to separate myself from CG LOL!)

message 32: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Nicely said Jill!:D

message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "Yup :) I think I'll read this one first (well, when I manage to separate myself from CG LOL!)"

Good choice, Blacky!

message 34: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dd wrote: "Nicely said Jill!:D"

Thanks Dd!

Kathleen Yup. Sandra Brown rocks -- she's right at the top, IMO, with Linda Howard. Lee Coburn is yummy! And now that Lethal has been "kindled" I can easily re-read it. Thanks for the reminder of a jolly good story!

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Yup. Sandra Brown rocks -- she's right at the top, IMO, with Linda Howard. Lee Coburn is yummy! And now that Lethal has been "kindled" I can easily re-read it. Thanks for the reminder of a jolly g..."

You're welcome, Kathleen. I love SB, one of my favs.

Victoria If You like Sandra Brown Try Karen Rosehttp://www.karenrosebooks.com/index.php

message 38: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Victoria wrote: "If You like Sandra Brown Try Karen Rosehttp://www.karenrosebooks.com/index.php"

Thanks Victoria, I love Karen Rose and have read a number of her books. :)

Kathleen Shooting it up the to-read tower.

message 40: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Shooting it up the to-read tower."

I hope you like it, Kathleen!

Kathleen Jill wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Shooting it up the to-read tower."

I hope you like it, Kathleen!"

I like Sandra Brown -- even though it's been years -- so I am sure to like it, Jilly, especially with your rave review.
Right now, I already started a PNR, but soon... :D

Kathleen Ps. I might have read it some years ago, but perhaps I'm confusing Lethal with another book. We will soon see. Just now purchased it, so it's in the Line Up!

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Jill wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Shooting it up the to-read tower."

I hope you like it, Kathleen!"

What's the pnr you're reading??

Kathleen Trying a new (to me) author, to satisfy my shifter fixation. Have you heard of Elizabeth Hunter? The first in a small town (hope she builds out the secondary characters, like Molly Harper does) shifter suspense series, Long Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short Story is only 25 pages, so I can check out her writing style without blowing a wad. :)

message 45: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Yes, I've heard of EH. My friend Bamagal loves her and this series A Hidden Fire which is on the mtn and I've yet to read.

Look forward to your thoughts on LRH and EH, Ka-chan!

figuranta m/m lover Nice review Jill, I love SB when i was 14 and i read my first romance book was of her and i have all her books probably the only author i still buy the books in paper back to have it in my library.

message 47: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill figuranta wrote: "Nice review Jill, I love SB when i was 14 and i read my first romance book was of her and i have all her books probably the only author i still buy the books in paper back to have it in my library."

Thanks figuranta! I also love SB and have read her for ages! In fact I've read every book she's written even those early CRs. (Which I'm not too keen on.)

What was the first romance title of hers you read?

message 48: by figuranta m/m lover (last edited Mar 09, 2013 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

figuranta m/m lover I read Hidden Fires i freaking love that book i can read it on and on and never get bored with Jared and Lauren

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill figuranta wrote: "I read Hidden Fires i freaking love that book i can read it on and on and never get bored with Jared and Lauren"

I love that one too! I enjoy her later R/S more though. I think this one Lethal and Mirror Image might be my favs.

figuranta m/m lover From her latest books i love Envy have u read this one? AMAZING

« previous 1