Renee Rearden's Reviews > The Arrival

The Arrival by Nicole MacDonald

Oct 22, 2011

it was ok
Read in May, 2011

So if you could say a few words and magically discover your true love, your missing half, your soul mate…would you?

Catherine, Laura, Sian, and Kassie did, and they got more than they bargained for. The four women cast a love spell and wake up disoriented, confused, and utterly lost—as in they're on another world called Sytas! After getting over that shock, things get crazy pretty fast.

They're attacked by frightening, deadly creatures, saved by gorgeous men on flying griffons, and whisked off to the castle at Elion. (Yes, a real castle!) Elena the Sorceress of Elion has seen how important the girls are as protectors of the realm—they have the gift of elements.

The girls commit themselves to learning how to wield their elemental powers, develop relationships with their new-world hunks, and realize since they can't return to Earth, they will do everything they can to protect their new home.

I have to say the blurb intrigued me. The storyline concept fascinated me. Unfortunately, the author's writing style confused and frustrated me. Nearly every character in the book has a point of view—I stopped counting at fifteen. With things constantly changing (almost from paragraph to paragraph), I never connected with the characters.

The book's tone also left me wondering if I was reading a YA or an adult paranormal romance. Kassie's character is 27, so that means the "girls" are adults, but some of the dialogue and reactions are those of much younger people. Even the relationship between Alek and Catherine—Cat (which snags on a misunderstanding easily resolved by merely talking to each other—the black moment) left me wondering what age group these characters fell into.

Despite these issues, I really wanted to know how things would turn out for the girls. They were sweet and really wanted to help others. So I followed their journey to the very end and was left speechless at the storyline's climax. Why? Because there wasn't one. The book ends with a cliffhanger. The internal conflict, the girls' desire to find their soul mates, totally overshadowed the rest of the book.

When push came to shove, the final showdown doesn't happen. Jenviet (antagonist) shows up, there's a bit of fighting, and everything stops in the middle of the battle. I understand there are big issues that are spread out over several books in a series, but each book should resolve both the internal and external conflicts.

For those that enjoy sweet characters, gorgeous guys, and a fantastical world with interesting creatures, THE ARRIVAL might appeal to you. Sadly, this book wasn't for me.

This review originally written for The Romance Reviews.

Direct Link: http://www.theromancereviews.com/view...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arrival.