Evanston Public Library's Reviews > My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead: Great Love Stories from Chekhov to Munro

My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead by Jeffrey Eugenides

1975296
May 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction

Edited by Jeffrey Eugenides, this unforgettable collection captures love in all its thorny, dizzying, and satisfying forms. Here you’ll find stories that seethe with irrepressible desire, thrum with quiet longing, follow passionate consummatio, render painful betrayal, and show us pictures of fleeting young love and life-long commitment, all by masterful writers of the form (the subtitle is, "Great love stories from Chekhov to Munro"). The stories are set in all corners of the globe from suburban California to middle-class 1960s London, from 19th century Moscow to modern China. For me, standouts include Harold Brodkey’s “First Love and Other Sorrows,” (I sought out Brodkey's early story collections after I read this, too), James Joyce’s “The Dead,” David Bezmorgis’s “Natasha,” George Saunders’ “Jon,” (from In Persuasion Nation), and Bernard Malamud’s “The Magic Barrel.” But, really, it’s difficult to choose only a few because the entire collection – with exquisite stories by Milan Kundera, Denis Johnson, and Eileen Chang, among others – is so well-edited, it stands as a cohesive whole, one that gets at the infinite complexities of the human heart. (Jarrett, The Loft)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead.