Annie's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Jun 08, 2011

Edna Pontellier is, by no means, a perfect woman. She acts out: promiscuously, scandalously, inappropriately.
But that's okay, because Edna is not supposed to be the epitome of female independence. I think that's what a lot of people miss: she's not meant to be perfect. Her actions are not meant to be idealized. The Awakening is simply a story of a woman journeying through life while realizing her independence.
Her mistakes or perhaps less-than-noble or irrational actions are not meant to be taken as what independent women should do. Chopin is not saying, "if you are an emancipated woman, feel free to sleep around." Rather, Edna is simply lashing out as she truly feels how oppressed she is by society. Edna is human, she is not perfect. As such, she acts imperfectly and "tests the borders," so to speak, in her quest for freedom. I believe that she eventually realizes that independence and freedom cannot be found in a man's pants, and that is when she truly 'awakens.' But she can't realize that's not where freedom is until she looks there, right?

I didn't like this book when I first read it. I thought it was boring and dull. As I thought about it, though, I realized how much value this story holds and grew to love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.