Ashelynn's Reviews > Solstice

Solstice by P.J. Hoover

Jun 05, 11

Read from May 30 to June 02, 2011

Solstice is an okay book. I wasn't moved emotion wise, and I didn't hook me right away. I like the mythology to the dystopian part, even though this book focuses more on the mythology rather than the dying world. I did like how it wrapped everything up at the end. I would have never guessed it what mythology story it was a retelling of, though. That was a nice surprise.

One thing that did bother me was the love at first sight. Shayne and Reese both exclaim "I love you!" right away and Piper's all "OMG I LOVE YOU TOO." And I'm like, "WTF? You don't even know their last names!" Actually I think Shayne and Reese don't have last names, so they're like Cher or Madonna.

Le sigh. I mean, I understand why Shayne and Reese were in love with her, trust me, I get their role, but Piper's? She doesn't know them like the other two. (I'm trying SO HARD right now not to spoil the book.)

It really bothered me. It reminded me of the silly middle graders/freshmen/sophomores that are my friends on facebook and they are always saying, "OMG I love him sooooooo much!" A) They aren't dating the guy or B) They've been dating for a few hours.

Yes, I do believe in love at first sight sometimes. In this case, no I don't. It isn't realistic.

This book is okay, and I will probably buy the sequel if there is one. I like the world and how it ties all together. Oh! It'd be awesome if there was a companion novel, another retelling of a Greek story. That would be awesome.

Do I recommend this book? Eh... if somebody loves mythology and dystopian, maybe. I don't know if I would recommend it though or push my iPad to my mom and say, "READ THIS." Like I said, it didn't move me. I didn't really connect with Piper, but she didn't annoy me enough to not finish reading the book. I don't know how to explain it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solstice.

05/30/2011 page 14
05/30/2011
18.0% "there we go... ;)"
06/01/2011