Amanda H's Reviews > Goliath

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

May 28, 11

Read in May, 2011

The third, and final, book in the Leviathan Trilogy tied up all the loose ends neatly into one well-written bundle, Goliath. Written in a slightly different style than “Leviathan” and “Behemoth”, the first two books in the trilogy, the ending came as a slight surprise. In “Leviathan” you are introduced to the Leviathan around quarter-way in the book and in “Behemoth” you are barely introduced to Behemoth at all, but it is apparent that both play a huge role, both are Darwinist creations, and both are essential to the war being fought. Goliath is different. It is introduced in the middle of the book, and seems essential and Darwinist yet there is a constant mystery surrounding it and its inventor, and it is only unraveled at the end, where it makes so much sense that it was a mystery why I did not figure it out sooner. This nearly surprise ending is the reason why “Goliath” would have been my favorite book out of the trilogy, if I had also enjoyed more romance.

One of the ideas that have been carried throughout the trilogy is the fact that Dylan is actually Deryn, and a girl. When reading the back of the book I was very disappointed in the fact that it gave part of the story away. Instead of being curious to if Deryn would spill her secret, I was merely waiting for it since, through the back of the book, it told you that she would and I knew it was coming. The first eleven chapters were about it, and although it was interesting how it happened, it was just not as interesting as it could have been. Also, it was slightly irritating that certain words were italicized throughout the book and then were not italicized in certain situations even though it made sense in a way. Then of course emotions came into play.

Personally, I do not enjoy reading about romance but if it is more on the back burner throughout the series I still enjoy the series. Therefore, I enjoyed the first two books much more than Goliath in the romance aspect although I believe it did not take away from the book at least, but it was my least favorite part.

Overall, I believe this was a beautiful way to wrap up the series, especially because of the few surprises that littered the end of the book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goliath.

Ms. Mulhern Gross Wow, nice review, Amanda! :-D

Teenage Bookworms Where did you read this book?It said that the expected publication is August, but I don't think I could WAIT!!!!!!!