Flavia's Reviews > The Case of the Left-Handed Lady

The Case of the Left-Handed Lady by Nancy Springer

Jun 13, 11

bookshelves: sherlockiana
Read in June, 2011

Enola Holmes, who's name spelled backwards is Alone, happens to be the 14 year old sister of the great detective Sherlock Holmes and Mycroft Holmes. Like all adolescents she rebels against the wishes of her brothers who are now responsible for her and want to send her to a boarding school.
Enola by nature is a free spirit and refuses to be domesticated by anyone, she was given freedom by her mother who had 'run away' as well, and she intended to keep it.
The second book, The Case of the Left Handed Lady brings us back to Enola and how she lives hidden away from her brothers yet working as well, undercover as Ivy. What I loved most about this book was how clever Enola is, but like all youth she makes mistakes as well. She manages to escape her brother quite a few times as he is set on locating her.
It's a lovely story, light, and even if they say it's for kids, young adults can also enjoy it. I know I have. It gives us a female's point of view on Victorian society.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Left-Handed Lady.

Quotes Flavia Liked

Nancy Springer
“Confound my genteel upbringing! I could not think of any name foul enough to call him.”
Nancy Springer, The Case of the Left-Handed Lady