Mary B. 's Reviews > Lord of Scoundrels

Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

This would have been a five star read for me save a few very serious issues I had that I could not get past.

Make no mistake, this book is a page-turner, and I'm very glad I read it. The interaction between the hero and heroine is witty and intense, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The heroine was a tad bit too arrogant and haughty for my taste. I got the impression that she looked down on others too much, and that personality trait is very unappealing to me in anybody. The hero was arrogant and haughty, too, but that was part of his tortured-ness, so it was easier to understand.

The other major issue I had: (view spoiler)

And finally, (view spoiler)

Anyway, definitely a good read, and totally worth my time. The story elements are remarkably similar to "Flowers From the Storm" by Laura Kinsale, but in that book I felt the drama and the intensity of the hero's transformation was much stronger and more believable.
Still, I couldn't put "Lord of Scoundrels" down, and stayed up until 2:00 am on Christmas Eve to finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Scoundrels.

12/19/2011
12/24/2011
54.0% "I'm loving this book, and I love the back and forth between the two leads. There had better be a huge breakthrough soon or I'm going to go crazy, though."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Have you read this before, Mary? This is my favorite book, although I think it might be tied with Jane Eyre.

Mary B. I haven't read it before, but I've heard really good things about it.

Zumbagirl Mary, I like your review - I know what you mean about the way Dain spoke, even when he spoke about his son, it was pretty bad. Some of it I've cracked up to it's Loretta Chase's style of writing - now that I've read several of her books, I see that's just how she writes. But this book was very addicting and I loved it more the second time I read it

Amber Yeah, the shooting part was shocking. Even when I re-read it and know what's going to happen, it always shocks me. However, I can somewhat forgive that as being part of the times. Susinok once compared this book to an Italian opera (or something, I might be misquoting) but I think that sort of explains the silliness away.

However, I agree with you on the tart issue. I actually didn't notice the bit about every woman being a tart, or rather that there just weren't a lot of other women. The part that bugged me was when Dain's friend lost the bet about how he would treat the heroine, and the other guy said something along the lines of how the heroine was a lady, unlike all the other women Dain had compromised. That bugged me. I think the explanation is actually a bit differently. He sought out women who were happy to exchange money for sex, and therefore he wasn't misusing them or compromising them at all. The only woman he compromised was the would-be fiance who tried to trick him into marriage. So really, it was his friend's interpretation that was flawed, not necessarily Dain's actions.

Mary B. There weren't many other female characters except the actual prostitutes themselves, this is true. I just got the general impression that the characters - both Dain and Jess - believed it perfectly fine to treat common women like cheap trash because they're just tarts and 'up for grabs' so to speak, but it's not OK to treat high born women as such.

That, too, I know is a part of the times, but in this book it was a bit too much.

Mary B. Zumbagirl wrote: "Mary, I like your review - I know what you mean about the way Dain spoke, even when he spoke about his son, it was pretty bad. Some of it I've cracked up to it's Loretta Chase's style of writing -..."

Zumba, I actually loved the parts with him and his son. That was very touching. (view spoiler)

Zumbagirl Yeah, it was nice to see him melt and accept his son. But I thought Dain was just negative about life and everyone/everything in it. I honestly don't remember being affected by how he spoke of women specifically, but just that we was generally very down on himself and never spoke well of anyone. I want to read Flowers from the Storm too and see what I think.

Mary B. Definitely read Flowers from the Storm! :-)