Hannah S.'s Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by L.J. Smith

May 28, 11

bookshelves: gave-up-on, for-fun, young-adult-fiction

I've watched the tv show for quite a while, which I admit definitely colors my reception of the book. But I could not get past the first few chapters. I tried, because I wanted to see how the books differed from the show. I really did try, which is why I made it to the third chapters instead of the just the first. The writing was sub-par and I just could not relate to any of the characters. They seemed like caricatures, all obsessed with popularity and being the "queen bee," and I just couldn't take it. Sure, girls can be catty in real life, but not quite to that extent. The fact that Stefan could read minds also felt like it was just a Twilight knock-off, though if you asked me, I wouldn't be able to tell you which book was published first. Compared to their tv counterparts, every single character seemed meaner or weaker or too detached for me to feel anything for them at all. I know it's unfair to compare the two, since they are in different media and the plots are vastly different, as well (yes, I admit to looking up the plot summaries of the books, since I couldn't stand to read them myself). My curiosity to see what happened in the plot was not enough to keep me going through the bad writing and horrible characterization, and when I did finally read plot summaries, I wasn't impressed by those either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa These books were published way before Twilight, back when I was in high school I believe.

Petros V Couldn't agree more

Jennifer Maloney Don't worry, you didn't miss anything in the rest of the book. Nothing happens. Seriously. This has to be one of the most boring books I've ever read.

SPOILER ALERT -->
In case you were curious, Elena whines about Stefan for about 12 more chapters, then they suddenly get together, kiss passionately, drink each other's blood, declare their undying love for each other, and oh... Stefan nearly gets killed by Damon... all in the last chapter or two. Which was very odd because by the time we got to this "exciting" chapter, I was so bored and half asleep that I didn't even care anymore.