Misfit's Reviews > The Conqueror

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer

May 28, 2011

bookshelves: abandoned, book-cover-deja-vu

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conqueror.

message 1: by Jemidar (last edited May 28, 2011 11:44PM) (new) - added it

Jemidar Oh dear! I'm doing a Heyer Challenge and this is one of the books I'd marked to read...

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan I couldn't finish this one either. I think part of the problem was that this period of history just doesn't appeal to me, but I also simply didn't like the characters or care what happened to them.

message 3: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit You would have thought I'd be all over this one, but I found it dry as dirt. IIRC Michele waded through it, check out her review.

message 4: by Iset (new)

Iset I looked through all the written reviews of this and couldn't find Michele's review!

message 5: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Here you go, it is on her blog. http://readersrespite.blogspot.com/20...

message 6: by Iset (new)

Iset Thanks.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Really Misfit? That bad??

message 8: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sandi wrote: "Really Misfit? That bad??"

Seriously dry, but then I only made it to page #50 or so.

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Out of all the Georgette Heyer books this is one of the hardest to get into I think. When I read it a few years ago I flicked through most of it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Really Misfit? That bad??"

Seriously dry, but then I only made it to page #50 or so."

Oh..well..need to downsize in my books anyways..

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire this is only for Heyer nuts when they have read everything she ever wrote and still want another Heyer. Very dry and nothing like the Regency novels.Simon Coldheart is not much better.You have been warned, start with Frederica or
Venetia, Arabella etc

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Geezzz..I have both :( I thought she was one of the "Romance Queens"...no romance in these? Dry in as the story telling?

message 13: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar I have both in my TBR too!

Yes, Heyer is the 'Queen of Romance' when it comes to her Regencies, Georgians etc but she also wrote six straight historical novels, which apparently lack the lightness and humour of her other books. It would seem that you either love them or hate them, and some say they are an acquired taste, but I believe the research that went into them was impeccable for the time they were written.

Guess I'm going to find out soon how I feel about them because I've got three of her straight historicals marked down to read for the Heyer Challenge I'm doing. Wish me luck...lol.

Elysium This is the only Heyer's book I've tried. I had to force myself to read it all. It was so dry and too many boring battle scenes.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Jemidar wrote: "I have both in my TBR too!

Well like you Jemidar I guess III find out for myself.

message 16: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Elysium wrote: "This is the only Heyer's book I've tried. I had to force myself to read it all. It was so dry and too many boring battle scenes."

This is the only Heyer I've ever tried. I will try another one of these days. What a conversation this has sparked!

message 17: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar As someone said earlier, it's probably best to start with her Regencies, but I also like her whodunits :-).

Elysium Sandi wrote: "@Elysium..I dont mind a few battle scenes..unless they are overly long & take up the whole story."

I don't mind battle scenes either they're rarely this boring.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire Her,(Heyer's) account of the battle of Waterloo was so historically accurate that The Infamous Army was required reading at Sandhurst,
I think that corresponds to Westpoint. An Infamous Army is the third in a trilogy starting with These Old Shades and Regency Buck

message 20: by Iset (new)

Iset What's Westpoint? :p If you ask me, I think Westpoint corresponds to Sandhurst.

message 21: by Misfit (last edited May 29, 2011 07:35PM) (new) - added it

Misfit Beth wrote: "What's Westpoint? :p If you ask me, I think Westpoint corresponds to Sandhurst."

Not sure what Sanhurst is without googling it, but I can guess it's a prestigious military academy in the UK :D

Chelsea wrote: "Misfit, thanks. I just removed it from my wishlist."

You are most welcome. Funny, but you would think William would be the most fascinating subject matter, but there aren't that many really good novels about him. Hollick's is excellent, although he's not the main focus. The Mary Lide book was flat as a pancake.

message 22: by Iset (last edited May 30, 2011 02:40AM) (new)

Iset :p I'm j/k Misfit. I have a very VAGUE idea of what Westpoint is, but I don't really know. On the other hand I know exactly what Sandhurst is. I just found it hilariously amusing when Claire was talking up Heyer by saying she was required reading at Sandhurst and then admitted she didn't know what Sandhurst was. Lol, like someone trying to impress by name-dropping but actually having no idea what name they've just dropped.

:p Also, the situation bemused me; "Do you know what this quaint little English thing is?" "Nope, but I think it's equivalent to our thing which of course everybody must know about and understand what we mean when we mention it". Literally, ROFLMAO. :D :p I love you guys.

message 23: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Beth, Claire is actually from the UK so knows exactly what Sandhurst is, she was just trying to give the US people an equivalent so they would understand what she was referring to. If there were any doubts it was probably about Westpoint because, as you know, not everyone outside the US is familiar with their equivalent to Sandhurst.

And BTW no-one needs to talk up Heyer as she has a legion of fans already. All Claire was trying to point out was how accurate her Historical Fiction is considered, which was something Heyer prided herself on. I assume it is because she was such a stickler for details and took her history very seriously is that why some people find it so dry.

message 24: by Iset (new)

Iset Geez, what's with the getting snippy?

And yes, I already knew that Heyer has a legion of fans. I didn't say that Heyer "needed" to be talked up. I fully realised that it was an attempt to highlight how accurate the work is considered in some circles.

message 25: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I really don't think anyone is getting snippy here, but it can be so easy to misinterpret things that are *said* on the web and via email when there isn't face to face interaction. Honestly, I doubt I'd have much knowledge of Westpoint if it weren't for John Jakes' North and South books, along with the TV adaption of them.

message 26: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Is that Patrick Swayze?

message 27: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Jemidar wrote: "Is that Patrick Swayze?"

Yes it is. He was quite something in that series as well as the actor who played George Hazzard. Don't get Karla and I started again :p

Karen I have to say that I really enjoyed the Conqueror...although when I first tried to read it about 10 years ago I did give up. I don't think Heyer's male-dominated narratives are as successful as the ones with a fantastic female lead (for example Venetia, Lady of Quality).

Georgette Heyer was essentially trying to develop her voice at the point in time when the Conqueror was written. It represents a path she did not take. But I think the Conqueror is probably the best of her non-Georgian novels. And the prose is not as dry as Hilda Lewis's Wife to the Bastard, which I enjoyed but was sometimes hard work.

I guess many people don't pick up Georgette Heyer to read what is pretty much a male buddy novel :)

I think I will keep off the subject of Patrick Swayze, then Misfit! Except to say RIP.

message 29: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Hi Karen, thanks for the input, I love it when we can agree to disagree on a book - makes for livelier discussions.

As for Patrick, yes RIP.

message 30: by Karla (new)

Karla James Read..... *licks* Hazard in the books is physically nothing like Hazard in the miniseries. Much more swoony handsome for da teevee.

message 31: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "James Read..... *licks* Hazard in the books is physically nothing like Hazard in the miniseries. Much more swoony handsome for da teevee."

Yes he was. Frankly there was so much different from the book and the mini series you can't even compare them.

message 32: by Karla (new)

Karla One of those "read the book & watch the movie & appreciate each one on its merits" deal. :)

message 33: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "One of those "read the book & watch the movie & appreciate each one on its merits" deal. :)"

Yeah, except part three most definitely convinced me not to waste time with the book. I had skimmed enough of book two as it was.

message 34: by Karla (new)

Karla That was a series where my memory totally got confused. I remember loving Love & War when I read it, but I guess since I didn't know much of the history at the time, I lapped it up. A re-read didn't hold the same excitement. And Heaven & Hell was sloppy-good, but I still didn't much like it them. Haven't put it to the test with a re-read.

message 35: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I still don't know if I read those when they first came out or not, but I definitely didn't read the last, nor even seen the last of the mini series until recently *shudders at the memory*

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Well..I have both books by Heyer and the one by Hilda Lewis,and since I dont know much about William The Conqueror..maybe I wont know what is correct or not,and will or wont enjoy. III just give them a try..Misfit wasnt there another book on him I picked up by Laker?..maybe the author was Jones...Hmmm..can you or anyone suggest a good one if these others make me go into ZZZZZ..land?

message 37: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sandi, I don't think Laker ever wrote about William. Jones doesn't hit a bell. It isn't this one is it? Fortune's Knave The Making of William the Conqueror A Novel by Mary Lide

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Sandi, I don't think Laker ever wrote about William. Jones doesn't hit a bell. It isn't this one is it? Fortune's Knave The Making of William the Conqueror A Novel by Mary Lide"

No..let me go look at my books...

message 39: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited May 30, 2011 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* This is it The Fatal Crown by Ellen Jonesoh..but its not about him really..

message 40: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sandi wrote: "This is itThe Fatal Crown by Ellen Jonesoh..but its not about him really.."

Heh, the infamous Ellen Jones book. I have read that and it isn't terrible, but she sure does diddle with known history a bit.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "This is itThe Fatal Crown by Ellen Jonesoh..but its not about him really.."

Can you recommend a good one on William?

message 42: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit No, I don't recall that I've found one on him. There are some where he's a secondary character I can name, but not any with the main focus that I've really enjoyed.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Chelsea wrote: "This book has some good reviews both here and on Amazon: William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England by David C. Douglas."

Thanks Chelsea...maybe if I borrow this from the library & read up..maybe it would be easier to get threw the "dry" parts in the other books? maybe?