Stephen's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

May 28, 11

bookshelves: romance, books-read-in-2011, tv-and-movies, and-saw-the-movie, 5-star-reads
Read in May, 2011

I'm beginning to think that Nicholas Sparks has a monopoly on romances that end tragically but wherein the hero realizes that he's a better person for having loved and lost than he'd have been if he'd never have loved at all.

I'm a sucker for tear-jerkers and this guy serves em up in heart-rending stories that make the reader feel like a better person for just having made the journey. A Walk to Remember has long been a favorite movie of mine and I was pleased that the book was even better than the film.

In this case the movie was a tad disappointing but the book was wonderful. I'm definately gonna read more of this guy's stuff. Though I'm gonna have to pace it... His books leave me as wrung out as the ending scenes of Torch Song Trilogy
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ayman Teaman I'm a huge sucker for tear jerkers and Nicholas is my favorite romance author, but this book was very bad.

It has been such a long time so I can't exactly remember why, but I do remember that the setting of the story felt forced and plot progression was too predictable.

Ayman Teaman Why do you think his books are bad?

Well, take this from an honest 'fan': Nicolas follow a certain formula when writing his books— all of them.
You either like them or you don't, I doubt you can be in between.

The best for him that I'd recommend to anyone is "A walk to remember" and perhaps "The notebook" and "The rescue".

The first two are ..sad. The rescue is not so much and a lot simpler in terms of plot and progress; it is quite heart-warming.

Did you read any of those 3? If not, I'd recommend at least 'a walk to remember', it is truly a good book.

I didn't read romance in so long, mostly because I read too much lol (they are not on GR). Though, if you happen to know an epic romantic book (no sad ending please, or silly love triangles) I'm open to recommendations.

Ayman Teaman Which Poldark? Any particular recommendations or specific books?

I don't mind a love triangle, but most are those with an indecisive characters (primarily female) who cannot make up her mind whether she loves A or B. It is those that I cannot appreciate.

~☆ Alice♥♥ Ross Poldark
Demelza
Bella Poldark
Winston Graham

Its a woman's prerogative to change her mind - often!

These were a wonderful TV series on Masterpiece Theater when I was in England and I purchased the entire set.

Ayman Teaman And they have every right to do so :P

I added Ross Poldark to my to-read-fiction shelf :)
Many thanks for the recommendation!

And thanks Stephen for hosting us here :P

Ayman Teaman Yeah, especially when it comes to love; there is too much to learn, and you can never get to the end of the tunnel!

Ayman Teaman Lucky Stephen, got us in a triangle!
Let's make it a square :D