Stephen's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

May 28, 11

bookshelves: romance, books-read-in-2011, tv-and-movies, and-saw-the-movie, 5-star-reads
Read in May, 2011

I'm beginning to think that Nicholas Sparks has a monopoly on romances that end tragically but wherein the hero realizes that he's a better person for having loved and lost than he'd have been if he'd never have loved at all.

I'm a sucker for tear-jerkers and this guy serves em up in heart-rending stories that make the reader feel like a better person for just having made the journey. A Walk to Remember has long been a favorite movie of mine and I was pleased that the book was even better than the film.

In this case the movie was a tad disappointing but the book was wonderful. I'm definately gonna read more of this guy's stuff. Though I'm gonna have to pace it... His books leave me as wrung out as the ending scenes of Torch Song Trilogy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~☆ Alice♥♥ This sounds like a rewrite of Poldark. You might like Poldark. he comes home from the Revolutionary War and his sweetheart has married his cousin. He can't get over it.