Sarai's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

May 28, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, sci-fi-fantasy, series
Read from May 30 to September 10, 2011

A Clash of Kings was much slower and I feel a lot more heartbreaking than A Game of Thrones. No one is safe in this series, so I've learned not to get attached to any characters too much (which is a lot easier said than done, I know). The first half of the book was mostly build up, almost as if GRRM wanted to take his time and really set down a foundation for what's to come in the following books.

Spoilers ahead.

The plot doesn't start getting crazy until the last hundred pages or so, when GRRM gets cliff hanger happy and doesn't let up in the killing and despair department. I feel like these books have to be reread at least twice, because there is so much to go through and to process. There are a lot of characters to keep track of. The Seven Kingdoms is a huge world and there are wars happening in every corner it seems, with banners, houses, lords, squires, knights, cropping up every other paragraph.

A few notes on the characters and the plot in list form because I'll be here all day otherwise:

Arya - Future badass, I have no doubt. I feel sorry for her predicament and I'm anxious to see how she'll grow in the next book. However, if I have to read how she's "as quick as a shadow" one more time I will scream.

Joffrey - I don't know if death is imminent for Joffrey but I hope it is soon and I hope it is awful. This character is easily the worst character I have read in all of fiction. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.

Sansa - Every time I read a chapter with Sansa I become very depressed. I feel there is nothing but pain coming for Sansa, and she doesn't deserve it. She's stuck in a bad place at a really bad time.

Theon - This douchebag is about as bad as Joffrey. The worst part is that he has no excuse. He was taken in by Ned Stark as a ward and treated like another son. I don't understand his hatred for the Starks and I'm glad he got fucked over. I also really like his sister and all her badassery.

Stannis, Lord Renly, Stannis' Witch Priestess - I don't care for any of these characters.

Tyrion - This man I understand. If anything, I'm suprised he's not an evil douchebag like Theon Greyjoy. There's something about him... his heart, mostly. His ambition is endearing. His desire for his father's acceptance is heartbreaking. Love love love his character and I'm looking forward to what he'll be doing in A Storm of Swords.

Catelyn, Jon Snow, Robb, Bran & co., Cersei - I felt very disconnected with these characters in this book. Cersei is a shameless bitch. Catelyn is a cold, albeit brave, woman. Bran and his wolf thing is not something I'm interested in although I know others will think differently. Robb is somewhere fighting battles and that's all I think about him. Jon Snow I felt a little more for but he didn't capture my interest until his last chapter. Now that he's captured, what will become of him? And is Ben with the wildlings too?

Tywin Lannister, Jamie Lannister, Daenerys & Dragons - I WANT TO KNOW MORE.

I have no idea what the following book A Storm of Swords is about. I haven't read the synopsis and I don't plan to. Usually while I'm reading a series I try to predict what will happen next when I'm in between books. But with A Song of Ice and Fire I don't even bother. GRRM is always ten steps ahead. Whatever he was thinking while he was writing this series, I will never understand fully. And I'm okay with that. This series is exciting, it's new, it keeps you on your toes, constantly surprising and shocking you at every turn--what's not to love?

I've read in some reviews that the next two books aren't that great, so my expectations aren't crazy high but I do expect some answers. As long as I get answers to the cliffhangers in A Clash of Kings I'll be satisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

05/30 page 33
06/01 page 102
13.0% "I'm reading this and I'm so nervous!! So much built-up tension, I feel like shit's going to hit the fan any minute and I won't be prepared. Will the queen accept Robb's proposal? If not, who's going to win the war? What will happen to Arya? Someone save Sansa! God help me."
07/24 page 192
19.0% "Picking up where I left off."
08/15 page 569
56.0% "Oh here go hell come."
04/11 marked as: read