Chibineko's Reviews > Ascendant

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund

After finishing this book I'm more convinced than ever that HarperTeen needs to put out another book in this series. (As of this review there's technically no other books under contract, but hopefully that will change!)

There's a lot to love in this book. Not only do we have the wonderful idea of killer unicorns but we're beginning to see that all is not hunky dory in Astrid's world. She's just now beginning to discover the true drawbacks of the profession of unicorn hunting. She can have a boyfriend but she can't sleep with him. Going out in public means that she'll constantly be at risk of unicorn attacks & now that the world is fully aware of the unicorn threat, Astrid feels more alone than ever. I really feel that Peterfreund did a good job of illustrating Astrid's confusion, so it really made sense when offered a cushy position later in the book.

Unfortunately some will be a little frustrated at the ending of this book. While there's enough wrapped up to where it can suffice as an ending if no more books are forthcoming, there's still more than enough unresolved plot elements to frustrate people. (Although if there are more books then this was an excellent way to leave the second volume.)

I'm really loving this series so I truly hope that we get more books to the series. There's potential for not only 1-2 more books of Astrid but also prequels detailing the life of previous unicorn hunters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascendant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Levina  C. Diana Peterfreund replied to a message of mine - she says,
"I do have plans to write the conclusion to Astrid's story, but I don'tyet know when that story will be out. In the meantime, there are twounicorn short stories out, and there will be two more forthcoming nextyear. ~Diana"

Chibineko Yay! More Astrid! I do have to say that I'm pretty impatient to finish the story. This is a really interesting story & I can't wait to see how Peterfreund ends it. There's no telling how she could end it since it's not going along the typical YA lines.