Derrick's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Mar 06, 08

Read in March, 2008

What a scary book. This is another one that seemingly everyone else read in highschool but somehow I managed not to. My favorite quote: "Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
For me this book put a whole new spin on relativism, both moral and philosophical. The past doesn't actually exist in any concrete way, all that exists is evidence (i.e. the effects the present time has on the physical world that lasts into the future) and memory; both of which can be manipulated and controlled. So is anything actually real, except in relation to the individual? This reminds me of the arguments in "the dancing wu li masters". I don't like it because it is so anthropocentric; basically stating that human consciousness forms reality, which I cannot buy into being that the universe is billions of years old, and Homo sapiens have only been around for 100,000 years or so.
So basically I reject the thinking of The Party. However I do agree that people who desire power do it for it's own end, because they want power, not as a means to anything else. Amazingly good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don wonderful review. Thanks.

message 2: by Candy (new) - added it

Candy Well said. Thank you!

TinCanKreations Bravo, haven't read the book, but if I don't, I will still have the insight that would be brought to me by reading the book.