Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, standalone, coverlove, great-titles, hf-china, 2012-reviews, 2012-reads, book-club-made-me-do-it, owned-copy
Read from January 31 to February 04, 2012

This is a detailed, researched and often quite moving story of two Chinese women before, during and after one of the most deadly military conflicts of all time: the Taiping Rebellions of 1850-1864. While the rebellions didn't feature into the story as much as I'd have liked, the story of Lily and Snow Flower is still compelling, troubled and full of emotion. This is a novel about the two women and their secret language, but it's also about the relationships between people: between woman and child, man and wife, friend and best friend. While some parts may become repetitious before the end, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was a thoroughly enveloping and meticulously-crafted read. Well done. I can't wait to read the other novels Ms. See has written.

Full review to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

01/31/2012 page 26
10.0% "footbinding killed 1 in 10 women/girls in China? That's astonishing. I must find out if that is true, because if so: dear god. This is pretty impressive so far, though I do see echoes of Memories of a Geisha in the narrative setup of an older lady looking back and rehashing her sordid life. We'll see where this goes."
01/31/2012 page 65
25.0% "Lily's need to be loved is overpowering and perhaps a tad repetitive. Still though, this is a culture-evocative novel." 1 comment
01/31/2012 page 131
51.0% "Stopping for the night. Lily and Snow Flower's story may take a bit to get its tendrils into you, but this is one compelling, detailed read."
02/03/2012 page 161
62.0% "Back to this after a few days away. I am still irritated by the lack of names for anyone besides Lily and Snow Flowe. We are Second Brother's Wife now - surely names are easier at this point?"
02/03/2012 page 217
84.0% "Man, Lily is quite bitter as an old lady isn't she?"
02/04/2012 page 250
97.0% "Whoa. I didn't see that coming about Snow Flower or Spring Moon."