Ana Marsh's Reviews > The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

May 27, 11

bookshelves: favourites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Quotes Ana Liked

Mitch Albom
“Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else.”

Mitch Albom
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.”
Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Mitch Albom
“You have peace," the old woman said, "when you make it with yourself.”

Mitch Albom
“Each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.”

Mitch Albom
“There are no random acts...We are all connected...You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind...”

Mitch Albom
“Death doesn't just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.”

Mitch Albom
“People say they 'find' love, as if it were an object hidden by a rock. But love takes many forms, and it is never the same for any man and woman. What people find then is a certain love. And [he] found a certain love with [her], a grateful love, a deep but quiet love, one that he knew, above all else, was irreplaceable.”

Mitch Albom
“Every life has one true love snapshot.”

Mitch Albom
“This is the greatest gift God can give you: to understand what happened in your life. To have it explained. It is the peace you have been searching for.”

Mitch Albom
“Parents rarely let go of their children, so children let go of them. They move on. They move away. The moments that used to define them - a mother's approval, a father's nod - are covered by moments of their own accomplishments. It is not until much later, as the skin sags and the heart weakens, that children understand; their stories, and all their accomplishments, sit atop the stories of their mothers and fathers, stones upon stones, beneath the waters of their lives.”

Mitch Albom
“No story sits by itself, Sometimes stories meet at corners and sometimes they cover one another completely, like stones beneath a river.”

Mitch Albom
“There are five people you meet in heaven. Each of us was in your life for a reason. You may not have known the reason at the time, and that is what heaven is for. For understanding your life on earth. This is the greatest gift God can give you: to understand what happened in your life. To have it explained. It is the peace you have been searching for.”

Mitch Albom
“It is because the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death doesn't just take someone, it messes someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.”

Mitch Albom
“Scenery without solace is meaningless.”

Mitch Albom
“That's what heaven is. You get to make sense of your yesterdays”

Mitch Albom
“Time," the Captain said, "is not what you think." He sat down next to Eddie. "Dying? Not the end of everything. We think it is. But what happens on earth is only the beginning.”

Mitch Albom
“Lost love is still love, Eddie. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those sense weaken, another heightens. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it.
Life has to end," she said. "Love doesn't.”

Mitch Albom
“Sacrifice is a part of life. It’s supposed to be. It’s not something to regret. It’s something to aspire to. Little sacrifices. Big sacrifices. A mother works so her son can go to school. A daughter moves home to take care of her sick father.”

Mitch Albom
“Life has to end. Love doesn't.”

Mitch Albom
“It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But all endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.”

Mitch Albom
“People think of heaven as a paradise garden, a place where they can float on clouds and laze in rivers and mountains. But scenery without solace is meaningless.”

Mitch Albom
“The carnivals gave me my names, Edward. Sometimes I was the Blue Man of the North Pole, or the Blue Man of Algeria, or the Blue Man of New Zealand. I had never been to any of these places, of course, but it was pleasant to be considered exotic, if only on a painted sign. The 'show' was simple. I would sit on the stage, half undressed, as people walked past and the barker told them how pathetic I was. For this, I was able to put a few coins in my pocket. The manager once called me the 'best freak' in his stable, and, sad as it sounds, I took pride in that. When you are an outcast, even a tossed stone can be cherished.
One winter, I came to this pier. Ruby Pier. They were starting a sideshow called the Curious Citizens. I liked the idea of being in one place, escaping the bumpy horse carts of carnival life.
This became my home. I lived in a room above a sausage shop. I played cards at night with the other sideshow walkers, with the tinsmiths, sometimes even with your father. In the early mornings, if I wore long shirts and draped my head in a towel, I could walk along the beach without scaring people. It may not sound like much, but for me, it was a freedom I had rarely know.'
He stopped. He looked at Eddie.
Do you understand? Why we're here? This is not your heaven. It's mine.”

Mitch Albom
“Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with laying them down.”

Mitch Albom
“Did you ever wonder? Why people gather when others die? Why peole feel they should?"

"It is because the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect. That death doesn't just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.”

Mitch Albom
“All parents damage their children. IT cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.
The damage done by Eddie's father was, at the beginning, the damage of neglect...
All parents damage their children. This was their life together. Neglect. Violence. Silence. And now, someplace beoynd death, Eddie slumped against a stainless steel wall and dropped into a snowbank, stung again by the denial of a man whose love, almost inexplicably, he still coveted, a man ignoring him, even in heaven. His father. The damage done.
~pgs 104, 110”

Mitch Albom
“Your voice will come. We all go through the same thing. You cannot talk when you first arrive."
He smiled. "It helps you listen.”

Mitch Albom
“Lost love is still love.”

Mitch Albom
“All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.”