Kelley Ross's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

May 28, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from May 27 to 28, 2011

The Island of Dr. Moreau is a classic horror novel akin to Dracula and Frankenstein, in that it leaves the reader with a sense of unease long after the book is finished.

Maybe I am reading too far into this novel, but I feel like there were a lot of religious undertones to the storyline. When Dr. Moreau and Montgomery have perished, Prendick attempts to convince the beasts that the two "masters" are still alive, in order to prolong his own survival. The beasts are doubtful, but Prendick assures them that they should abide by the "Law" because the Master and the Bad House will come again. This story concerning a second coming and a miraculous return from death reminds me of several religions. The question is whether Wells drew these parallels in an honest attempt to show what happens when man ignores the morality of the law, or if the entire thing is a satire poking fun at the idea of humans ever being entirely "civilized." I know that Wells adopted severe beliefs concerning eugenics later in his life, turning his back on Christianity. This is an interesting point to consider while reading a story about a man performing invasive surgeries on animals in an attempt to make them "human."

Overall, I found the premise of the story to be a bit disturbing. I think the description of the puma's cries bothered me the most... but I don't think anyone can accuse Wells of not developing his characters well enough. Dr. Moreau was a blend of shockingly horrible and fascinating.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.