Christina's Reviews > Running With Angels

Running With Angels by Pamela H. Hansen

May 27, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

I was hoping for more about her running training, but that part was very skimmed over. I found her children's challenges (two babies die, two are diagnosed with chronic diseases) the strongest part of the book and heart-breaking. It was easy to see how eating became her coping mechanism for dealing with tragedy.

I was surprised at how much self-loathing Pam had at herself, at her body. She imagined everyone was judging her by her size everywhere she went and was constantly ashamed because of it. It made me wonder if that was unique to Pam or if many others who are overweight feel that same self-consciousness. While I am sure there are some who judge by someone's size, I think most people are too worried about their own problems to be watching out for strangers they can despise. The fear of what others might think even kept Pam from walking with friends and other regular activities. The first time she ran, she did it in secret so that no one would see her jiggle. That, to me, was more tragic than being overweight.

I was also intrigued by Pam's addiction to food and how it affected her.

This book gave me a lot to think about, and certainly Pam is inspirational -- losing weight is hard work, and she not only lost 100 lbs, she also went on to run a marathon. Good for her!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running With Angels.