Cheryl's Reviews > Every Fear

Every Fear by Rick Mofina

Mar 06, 08

bookshelves: suspense, thrillers, canadian
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys suspense
Read in February, 2008

4 stars for a great suspense thriller by Canadian author Rick Mofina. This is the first novel by this author that I have read and it did not disappoint me.

Every Fear explores what happens when a child is abducted and the mother is involved in a hit-and-run and left for dead. The investigation and search for the abductors is examined from all angles--from the viewpoint of a reporter, a tough police investigator, the father of the abducted child and many other characters.

If I have any criticism about Every Fear it is this: there is such a large cast of characters that it's difficult to say whose story it really is. The back text led me to believe it was Jason Wade's story--the journalist. Yet, while the characters were three-dimensional and kept fairly distinguishable from each other, I felt at times the large cast took away from the story and from the emotional impact the novel could have explored more. I would have liked to have seen more of how the father was affected by his son's disappearance. I also would have liked to see the relationship between Jason and Grace develop more naturally, with time and with more interaction between them. But that's just me.

Regardless, the action in Mofina's novel is razor sharp, the journey is tense, and the plot of an abducted child is a basic fear of every parent, and ironically, one I also dealt with in my latest (unreleased) novel Children of the Fog.

Overall, a tantalizing thriller that keeps you turning pages. If you're looking for a great beach read, I highly recommend this novel. Well written, crisp language and expertly detailed, Every Fear is a novel worth reading.

~Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
bestselling author
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Fear.