Kelly's Reviews > The Rivals

The Rivals by Daisy Whitney

May 29, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, read-in-2011

This is one you definitely need to read the first book to before really appreciating what Whitney does in this one. Alex is amazzzzing in this book. What her weaknesses were for me in book one are so changed in this book, and the change makes perfect sense, too. It makes me realize in some what I, too, misjudged her as a character, as a person, as a victim, when I read The Mockingbirds. THAT is true skill.

There are times it veers a tiny bit didactic in story, BUT, it fits in context of Alex and the Mockingbirds and I don't think readers will necessarily find this lecture-y.

LOVE how the cover makes such perfect sense. But oh! how I can't spoil it.

Longer, fuller review to come. REALLY REALLY liked this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rivals.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Daisy Whitney
“As you see, context is everything and nothing at the same time. Words stand alone and with each other.”

Daisy Whitney
“Sometimes instinct can be wrong. But sometimes it can be right too. And sometimes you just have to take it on faith.”

Daisy Whitney
“Some decisions are hard, some are easy, but either way it's our choices that matter. Who we chose to align with. What we choose to give in to. What we choose to resist. And most of all, who we choose to be. Because it is always our choice.”

05/28/2011 page 55
05/29/2011 page 200
58.0% "seriously, i LOVE alex. what bothered me about her in the mockingbirds is something she used to really become the incredibly strong girl she is in this book."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Casey How have you already read this if it hasnt come out yet?

Kelly Casey wrote: "How have you already read this if it hasnt come out yet?"

I picked up an advanced copy at a professional event.

Casey How do I find out about when and where the special events with advanced copies will be? Thanks