Angelc's Reviews > Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV

Before Versailles by Karleen Koen

Jul 10, 2011

3.5 Stars

There is a lot going on in this book! There's almost not enough time to even grasp everything. I can see this being the next historical series on cable. There's enough scandal and drama in this book for at least three or four seasons.

I really liked Louise from the start. She was so genuinely caring. I might have enjoyed the book more if it had really narrowed its focus down to Louise at court. But there were so many other storylines going on as well, I found myself waiting until Louise showed up again.

I was so intrigued by the bits and pieces of story about the man (boy) in the iron mask. I've always been interested in that story, but again, I didn't feel like there was really enough about his story. I was anxiously reading page after page awaiting the next bit of his story to develop.

I liked that the book was scandalous but it never took things too far. The scandal never got too graphic. The descriptions of court and the exquisite fashions were described in great detail.

This is a very interesting book if you have the time and energy to invest in so many different stories at once.

ARC sent by publisher in exchange for honest review

reviewed for http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Versailles.