Andie Z's Reviews > The Devil in Disguise

May 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011, own, arc, arcs-i-own, won, reviewed, sell-give-away-yes
Read from May 26 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Originally posted on my blog, From A to Z.

Yes, sometimes I read romance novels. They’re a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine and I’m not afraid to admit it. And while The Devil in Disguise may not be the best romance novel available, I had a lot of fun reading it.

For a romance novel, there isn’t actually a lot of sex in The Devil in Disguise, which kind of threw me off at first and made me think I wasn’t enjoying it (because come on, let’s be honest, that’s what you’re expecting when you read a romance, right?). The banter and verbal foreplay (for lack of a better term) between William and Lucinda is excellent, but their scenes in the bedroom are limited, both in quantity and quality, which was a big disappointment after such great buildup.

Once I accepted this, though, I found myself actually enjoying the novel. It’s a pretty standard romance in terms of plot and outcome, but the journey to get there is highly entertaining. I love the spy/bodyguard premise and both Lucinda and William are such fun characters. Although I have to say, I never really understood why Lucinda was the victim of a kidnapping plot. I don’t know if I missed something somewhere, but that just never made much sense to me.

All in all, if you’re a fan of Regency romance, you’ll probably like this book. It’s a light, fun read that, while not the best Regency out there, is sure to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in Disguise.

05/27/2011 page 70