Lauren's Reviews > The Springsweet

The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell

Feb 24, 12

Read from February 21 to 24, 2012

For those that haven’t read The Vespertine, The Springsweet might be a bit confusing at first. After the first two chapters, though, The Springsweet comes into its own and focuses on Zora’s new life on the prairie. Even so, I’d recommend reading The Vespertine first for context. (Saundra Mitchell doesn’t waste time playing catch-up, so be warned.)

For those who have read The Vespertine, you’re in for a treat with The Springsweet. Like its cover, The Springsweet is summery and hopeful in overall tone—it contrasts the darker setting of The Vespertine. Saundra Mitchell’s writing is as beautiful as ever; she has such a handle on writing historical fiction that readers feel instantly transported to the time period. I like that the setting isn’t traditional, either: The Springsweet takes place on the prairie, many miles away from the big houses and glamorous balls we’re used to. I’m always up for a unique setting, and I’m sure readers will love learning about roughing it in a sod house, too.

This particular setting puts Zora in the right situation for some good old-fashioned character-building. Zora was one of my favorite characters in The Vespertine, but I like her even more in The Springsweet. We get to see more of her quick wit and hardworking attitude (which she keeps up despite her sorry state of heartbreak). Readers will enjoy Zora’s narration immensely.
But what’s a historical novel without a dashing young gentleman? Perfectly fine, apparently. The love interest in The Springsweet is one lady readers will definitely fall for, despite his lack of tie and tails.

If you’re looking for a slower-paced, yet completely absorbing read, try The Springsweet. If Zora’s narration doesn’t wheel you in, the concept of a springsweet—and the touches of magic in the story—definitely will.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Springsweet.