Lesley's Reviews > Winterborne

Winterborne by Augusta Blythe

Jun 04, 2011

Read from May 27 to 28, 2011

My keeper shelf

I absolutely loved Winterborne, it's a fantastic YA adventure with tonnes of action, paranormal creatures galore, hilarious dialogue and intriguing family secrets.

Best friends Mia and Loie can't wait for their joint seventeenth birthday as shining star Mia will inherit some cool magical superpowers. Mia has been practising hard with the help of her trusty best pal sidekick Loie who is constantly overshadowed and often forgotten. Loie has been brought up by her bitter old grandmother as her parents died when the girls were only five years old on the same day that Mia's father Mr Winterborne mysteriously disappeared.

Both girls fall for new neighbour Andreas who is very yummy and British but as their joint birthday approaches things start to get strange and dangerous as pixies, leprechauns and hell hounds from a magical realm try to capture Mia before her powers kick in.

I really enjoyed it and was rooting for the downtrodden Loie the whole way through the book (I'm a sucker for the underdog) the heartbreaking interactions with her bitter and twisted grandmother left me with a giant lump in my throat. Loie selflessly puts Mia and her needs before her own constantly; spending hours helping her practise magic and despite liking Andreas herself she steps aside and lets Mia grab him. It broke my heart that Loie never thought she was good enough to get Andreas.

At first I thought Winterborne would be like any other sweet YA book in the whole two teenage best friends fall in love with the same guy kind of way. Winterborne was so much more than that, it absolutely took off, and I mean right off the page, with the magical creatures, impending superpowers and all of the intriguing mysterious family secrets. I ended up totally glued to it and the twists and turns kept me guessing right to the end. Action packed and witty, romantic and mysterious it had it all. I'm now super anxious to see more of Loie's world, I want the next installment now please!

Winterborne is available on Kindle for much cheapness it's only £2.09 in the UK ($3.47 in the US) it's a total bargain go buy it you will love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winterborne.

05/27/2011