Felicia's Reviews > The Unremembered

The Unremembered by Peter Orullian

May 27, 11

bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read in May, 2011

Disclosure, I have actually tangently worked with this author at MS with The Guild, and I received an ARC copy, but this review is 100% objective.

I have all of Robert Jordan's books in hardback, I was obsessed with the Wheel of Time at like 13 or 14. Later on when the series disappointed me a bit, I still look back on those years of total immersion in his world with fondness, that deep and epic fantasy storytelling that only fantasy fans can really buy into. This book is very much a citizen of that kind of literature. I mean, if you ever read out the names of people and places outloud, it would be silly, but for some reason you buy into it on the page when you delve into this kind of novel.

I believe this is the first book in a really wonderful fantasy series of that Jordan/Goodkind/Brooks/Tolkien-like ilk. It's not a light read, but definitely pays off all the tropes of this kind of book well. I particularly enjoyed the female lead character, who at first had me wanting her to die off quickly, and over the course of the novel became more interesting and empowered. Definitely want to see where her conflict leads her.

Anyway, I'll be reading the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unremembered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Glenj I just started reading this book a few days ago, glad to see such good praise, I got into Joe Abercrombie from you so I'm looking forward to another great new series and fantasy writer.

message 2: by Craig (new)

Craig Williams I've been considering checking out the Wheel of Time series. Would a casual fantasy reader enjoy it? By casual, I mean the only fantasy I've read is Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, half of The Songs of Fire and Ice series, and The Name of Wind.

message 3: by Craig (new)

Craig Williams BTW, this an open question to anyone, not just Felicia!

Mike (the Paladin) Interesting, thanks. I've agreed with many of your reviews and I was wondering about this one.