Holly's Reviews > Driftwood Summer

Driftwood Summer by Patti Callahan Henry

Jul 10, 12

Read from July 06 to 08, 2012

If I could give a book 10 stars, I would give it to this one. Better review to come but overall, a wonderful great read!

*updated July 10*
In a word, I would call this book, refreshing. This was one of those books that had me laughing out loud, crying at certain moments, and at the end, I was sad it was over.

We start off with Riley, the oldest of the three sisters, who runs a bookstore with her mom and young son. "Mama" as all good southern kids call their mom, took a stumble down the stairs and is now on bed rest at a very inopportune time. See, Riley and Mama are throwing a week long celebration in honor of Driftwood Cottage- where their bookstore is located- turning 200 years old, and Mama turning 70. The other sisters, Maisy and Adalee (whom I've decided will be the name of my daughter) are returning home just for the weekend for the party, until Mama's accident and now somehow, they've been swept up in the feeling of being home.

The book takes you back and forth, to what happened to cause a rift between Riley and her sister Maisy, to first loves, revealing buried secrets, and overall, a second chance at love, life, and family.

If you're looking for a book with a zany cast of characters, this book doesn't disappoint. So many of the secondary characters really provide a lot of comic relief. And if you want that wistful feeling at the end that you know you've just read a really great book, then pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driftwood Summer.

07/07/2012 page 180