Maria's Reviews > BestsellerBound Anthology

BestsellerBound Anthology by Darcia Helle

May 30, 2011

(Review from the author)
Read on May 30, 2011 — I own a copy

One of my short stories is featured in this collection, 'Flames'. My review does not include that story.

This is a diverse collection of stories, there's something for everyone in this anthology.

Wish Upon A Star by Lainey Bancroft
An insightful tale about a gifted singer who falls prey to the ravages of fame. Lainey is an author who understands the human psyche well.

Tears For Hesh by J. Michael Radcliffe
An entertaining fantasy tale, containing wizards, magic, curses, and spells. Hesh is a likeable character and I felt compassion for him. Well written with a tragic twist.

You Can Call Me Ari by Darcia Helle
A chilling, suspense story to keep you on the edge of your seat. By far the most vivid story in the collection. The descriptive quality of the writing pulls the reader in. Fans of Darcia's writing can be assured that even though this is just a short story it is just as scary as her novels!

Minor Details by Jaleta Clegg
A humourous tale about two teenage girls, one of whom can't spell. This leads to an unfortunate turn of events (or, fortunate, depending on how you look at it!) A fun read.

Ice Cream Man by Neil Schiller
Having read and enjoyed Neil's collection of short stories Oblivious, I was not disappointed by this story. It contains the same moody feel as much of his writing. It is in essence a poignant story of disappointment.

No Eyes But Mine Shall See by Sharon E. Cathcart
Sharon Cathcart sets the scene well in this heartbreaking story of a love denied. I liked the descriptive quality of the writing. Much of the story is written in the form of a letter that will never be read, making it all the more heartrending.

The First Texas Twister by Magnolia Belle
A fun and entertaining tale about how the Wild West collided with Native American culture to create the first tornado.

Shadow Lantern by Gareth Lewis
An interesting concept. A short story told entirely through dialogue with no narrative. At first, I didn't think it would work, and must admit to being a bit confused as to which character was speaking at times. By the end, however, I found myself entertained by this fantasy tale.

Stained by Amy Saunders
I hadn't read any of Amy's work before this short story, but now I will be seeking out more of her writing. I was very impressed by the way the author deals with the main character's emotions after a traumatic event. The tale is enthralling and the ending is moving. All believable characters.

All in all, this is a great collection and a wonderful way to introduce readers to some very talented independent authors.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BestsellerBound Anthology.