Mark's Reviews > Reckless Endangerment: How Outsized Ambition, Greed, and Corruption Led to Economic Armageddon

Reckless Endangerment by Gretchen Morgenson

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: current-events, business-finance, non-fiction, true-crime
Read from December 21, 2011 to January 08, 2012

Extremely informative book. Like many people, I had known the Cliff-Notes version of how the economic crisis of 2008 originated with the subprime mortgage mess. This book goes into a lot more detail about it stretching back into the 1990s. It's fascinating to see just how many people were involved beyond the bankers and Wall Street - blame goes to politicians, regulators, ratings company, and others, who all seemed to work together or look the other way. The authors also describe the many missed opportunities where the economic calamity could have been avoided or minimized over the years, except that greed always won out. I feel much more informed about our current situation having read this book. One of the scariest things is that a lot of the problems that led to the crisis are still in place and appear like they might lead to a repeat performance in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless Endangerment.