Laura's Reviews > The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

The Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll

May 27, 11

bookshelves: classics
Read in January, 1988, read count: like a million

Holy hell, I must own about 21-25 copies of Alice in Wonderland and/or Through the Looking-Glass. This story FASCINATES me, mostly I think because there is more than a little crazy to it. I like thinking of these stories akin to a fantasy romp through an insane asylum. I would even go so far as to say that my interest in (and eventual decision to make a career out of) psychology stems from my early fascination with these stories. Not to mention my life-long obsession with fantasy.

I don't think Carroll was on drugs when writing this.
I do think Carroll was a stuffy traditional mathematician and this fantastic, insane chaos was his satirical retort to changes in math theory. But that doesn't stop me from ignoring anything mathematical and enjoying the story in all it's fantastic, insane and chaotic glory.
I would argue that there are more versions, remakes and spin-offs of Alice in Wonderland than any other work of literature, which I think speaks to the inspirational creativity of the story. My favorite remakes are the dark, insane, creepy, angular versions (e.g., Alice as a patient at a mental hospital).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Alice.