Linda Day's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

F_50x66
May 27, 11

Read in May, 2011

So, what did I think about "Sea Glass" ? I decided that I do not read enough Anita Shreve. Having also enjoyed "The Pilot's Wife" I am amazed I did not p/up another of her books until now !

Sea Glass is placed in one of my favorite genre's The Great Depression but it is not simply the "doing without/nearly starving" aspect of that time but is placed in a coastal town in New England during the unionization of Mill workers. Basically, the story centers on Honora, a bride of a few weeks, and the people she interacts with ... her husband, neighbor, Mother, a male friend, and a boy. The storyline flows between their relationships, the neediness, both physical and emotional, caused by the times. Honora discovers sea glass along the beach, and it's beauty eked from the hardships of the sea, becomes the parallel of Honora's life.

I cared for and about the characters ... especially Honora and McDermott. I loved that Honora honored her marraige although it would have been easy to walk away. Most novels lack such a committment.

Slow starting, but stick with it, it is worth your effort. Although it is about the beach ... this is not a "Beach Read".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri I've looked at Anita Shreve before and wondered how clean these are. Would you call it PG-13? Thanks for your review...I'll keep my eye out for this one.

Linda Day I think a 13 is an app. review. There is a woman of some questionable rep. but Honora takes the high road.

The Pilot's Wife was more questionable, I think. I read it so long ago, I honestly don't remember it's Linda rating. I tend to jump over the sexy parts, and am bothered more by crude and violence. April is more of a critic of that than I.