Sarah Stevens's Reviews > Behemoth

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Feb 19, 12

Read in February, 2012

Considering I read the first book in this series almost exactly a year ago, I was concerned that it would take me quite some time to get back into the storyline and characters again. And I wondered if it could possibly be as good as I seemed to remember the first book being. Well, I shouldn't have worried. Behemoth was fantastic, and as I began the very first chapter, I immediately felt immersed in the world and events as if I had read the previous book just the day before. Westerfeld does a masterful job carrying over important bits of context with gentle reminders that balance on the fine line between being annoying redundant or unhelpfully vague.

Perhaps one of the reasons I like this series so much is that I really enjoy the steampunk genre. The historical context gives the world-building an effortless realism, and recognizing actual events in the plot development makes it exciting and intriguing. Add in the brilliant pseudo-science of Darwinism and Clanker technology and everything has a fantastical but totally accessible feel to it.

The characters are also very well-developed and relatable. And the changing points of view allow you to see through different eyes at different points, which I came to look forward to and revel in.

(view spoiler)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behemoth.