Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Rage

Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: 2011-reads, reviewed
Read from August 10 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy

Expect my full review August 29, 2011 at Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1GY

Part of the short comings when it came to Hunger was that the title and idea behind the horsemen didn’t really match the story line. We had an anorexic girl who didn’t really suffer from hunger. Rather the lack of balance in her life and the way she dealt with situations prevented her from leading a healthy existence. Likewise, the horseman Famine wasn’t about inflicting starvation, but rather balancing the distribution of food.

Knowing Rage wouldn’t necessarily be about anger, my mind was more open to the story. Or rather, I had to constantly remind myself that we’re not dealing with the title or the concept of the Horsemen War, but something beyond and loosely related.

Whereas Hunger was about balance, Rage was about control. The star of the show, Missy, seemed more depressed than angry and dealt with her depression by cutting herself. In fact, she worked hard at the flat effect. I questioned at times if she even had the ability to express her anger. So the title missed the mark again, but that didn’t make it a bad book… just something to keep in mind so one doesn’t enter the story with false expectations.

As far as the story itself? Decent. I was horrified with all that happened to Missy. Though I can’t imagine her situation is typical, I know there are girls out there who’ve faced similar experiences. Once in awhile, awful events will even appear in the news. I shake my head and sigh and hope my kids never have to go through something so horrid.

I have to say, Ms. Kessler did a wonderful job putting me inside Missy’s head. I’m such a wimp when it comes to pain, I can’t imagine hurting myself on purpose, much less making myself bleed. So why would someone harm themselves? Well, read the story if you’re looking for some insight. It certainly gave me a new appreciation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rage.

08/15/2011 page 53
25.0% "I'm finding I'm enjoying this better than the first. I think it has to do with accepting the title of the book doesn't fit the actual story. I wasn't prepared for that with Hunger."