Joanne's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

May 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in May, 2011

We love the word play and literary jokes in this series, so always read them out loud. In this one Thursday Next, the protagonist, runs into a "mime field," for example, where she has to laugh and applaud or the mimes start getting aggressive. However, this installment was pretty slow-going. It took at least half the book to set up the plot, and it was too full of meta-explanations about the Bookworld and its functions and politics. There was lots of running around from genre to genre which seemed mostly for the sake of setting up genre jokes, and lots of navel-gazing by this book's Thursday, who was the written Thursday - or maybe not - since the human Thursday whose life she enacts in fiction has gone missing. And if that sentence doesn't make any sense to you, then welcome to the book - or the series. I don't think anyone could dive into this book without reading the previous five.

We stuck with it, and chuckled out loud a couple of times, but dearly hope that the next Thursday Next book is a little more fast-paced and less concerned with complex and unnecessary meta-level subplots.

Sample quote from Bradshaw's Bookworld Companion, which heads up every chapter:
Off the coast lies Vanity Island, and off Vanity lies Fan Fiction. Beyond Fan Fiction is School Essays and beyond that Excuses for Not Doing School Essays. The latter is often the most eloquent, constructed as it is in the white-hot heat of panic, necessity and the desire not to get a detention (p. 328).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.