Barb's Reviews > Dead Simple

Dead Simple by Peter James

F 50x66
May 30, 11

Read from May 27 to 30, 2011

The beginning of this story was so uncomfortably tense that I almost didn't carry on reading but I am so glad I did otherwise I would have missed a smashing tale.
The mystery unfolds layer by layer, by twists and turns, piling on more tension and urgency all the way. At first I considered some of the twists came a little fortuitously out of the blue. Sometimes I can be a bit thick. It soon sank in that it was exactly how it would have appeared to the two main tellers of the tale. Thank heavens Mr James, the author, is a bit cleverer than I am. There are distractions, several red herrings and at least one reveal that stopped me in my tracks. I warmed to the police characters, even the smallest bit player is deftly defined and rounded out. DS Grace is intriguing. He is gentle but astute and foccussed in his investigations. I found his attitude to the paranormal totally believable. This side of the story does not overwhelm the mystery. He is not evangelistic about using psychics, in fact he learns a lesson early on in this story about the wisdom of keeping quiet about it. The medium and diviner are just part of this detective's tool box.
I am looking forward very much to reading more about the world of Roy Grace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Simple.

message 1: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista Thanks for this review as I was hesitating whether to continue reading or not. The coffin part is very uncomfortable right from the beginning. To think one might have friends who find this funny--- to the fact that he doesn't die right away! Ok....I'll keep reading as I do like the other parts of the story.

Trina Thank you for this review because I almost gave up on it. Very good book.

Maria thanks for sharing your opinion and feelings, I was about to quit but I felt so identified with your words that I kept on reading. I loved the book despite the suffering of the main character :)