Leoni Hofmeyr's Reviews > The Colour

The Colour by Rose Tremain

U_50x66
Mar 05, 08

Read in March, 2008

I recently became curious about Rose Tremain when she featured in a "Good Fiction Guide: 4000 Great Books to Read" and I realised I only knew about her, never actually read anything by her. So I picked up The Colour, published in 2003 already, from my book club. I now see in the reviews that the book is considered "distinctly different" from other Tremain books. My original object thus defeated.
But... what a treat it was!
"Deliberate, forthright, careful and cool, it ranges across a riot of interior worlds." A reviewer's words, but spot-on for me.
Potentially melodramatic, but not at all in its delicate containment, the story swoops through the agony of the Gold Rush in New Zealand, covering a range of engagements between people from different backgrounds: settlers and gold-diggers from Norfolk, local Maori people and Chinese fortune-seekers, people looking for adventure, redemption and connection. The processes they go through (leaving places behind, abandoning lovers, betraying trust, making fresh starts, losing children) are described faithfully, painstakingly, but sensuously rather than pedantically. A great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ekin (new)

Ekin Kench I LOVE Rose Tremain - and also thought The Colour was great. Try Music and Silence and The Swimming Pool Season