nancy (The Ravenous Reader)'s Reviews > Born Wicked

1402070
Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: arc, 2012
Read in February, 2012

When BORN WICKED first caught my attention I was mesmerized by it's stunningly sumptuous book jacket, then as I read the back cover I knew that this was a book that I would adore. Needless to say, I was not disappointed in the least.

Jessica Spotswood had created a world of magic, mystery and romance that will keep you entranced and voraciously reading until it's very last word, for she has created a spellbinding and intriguing story that you cannot help but treasure.

BORN WICKED centers on a trio of sisters that are also witches in a time when even breathing the word magic could result in certain banishment and possible death. Cate Cahill is the eldest of this enchanted trio who trying her best to fulfill her mother's wishes by keeping her sisters safe. Then she locates her mother's diary and finds a frightening prophecy that does not allow her to trust anyone. What is Cate going to decide about their futures while trying to understand that she may be the most powerful witch of all time. What is a girl to do?

Wow! what an amazing read. I truly enjoyed BORN WICKED and the world that Jessica Spotswood has created. While the subject of witches is not vogue or original, the storyline that she has penned is captivating and it's characters are appealing. I was thoroughly invested with these sisters and I wanted to see them thrive and succeed. It is also great to witness characters that you can adore and hate in equal measure. It is never easy to be the bad "guy" in a book but if it that character is well written you cannot help but see RED when you think of them. Besides having moments of grrrrr...frustration I also appreciated the romance that was entwined within this storyline and it gives me a whole new appreciation for feathers.

Another aspect that I acknowledge about this story was the element of mystery and slow building suspense that built to a nail biting crescendo. Not knowing whom to trust and what confidences would turn bad made it such a worthy read. I am sure readers teen and adult alike will enjoy this story and be left begging for more. I know I am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.