Katie Stout's Reviews > Torrent

Torrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: christian-publisher, time-travel, favorite-heroines, globe-trekkers, i-ship-it
Read from December 05 to 12, 2011

So I was seriously pumped to read this book. Cascade was one of my favorite reads of the year. Unfortunately, Torrent didn't quite live up to the first two for me.

First, I have to tell you that I almost always don't like the last book in a series as well as the other ones. Examples:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Mockingjay
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
4. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian

And those are some of my all-time favorite series there, folks. I think it has to do with the mere fact that it's the last one, and I have a hard time saying goodbye. Needless to say, a finale to a series must blow the pants off me to be ranked as high as the other ones, and I felt like Torrent just wasn't as good. The overarching plot for the series had lost some steam, and I felt like Bergren was stringing us along at the end. The last battle should have been EPIC...but sadly, it was sorta short and measly.

Honestly, I feel like the climax comes at the beginning of the book. Gabi gets sent to Roma, kidnapped by the people of Firenze, to marry Lord Greco. Her trying to escape was the most exciting bit of the entire book, and I felt like it should have been the end of the series.

Also, there was NOT enough Lia and Luca in this book! Gabi was separated from everyone for quite a bit of the book, and then when she returned, she was wrapped up in Marcello. I know this book is supposed to be about Gabi and Marcello's story, but I just never found them quite as interesting as Lia and Luca, whose humor I greatly missed in Torrent.

Then there's the issue of the blurb mentioning The Black Plague. I was really hoping that we'd get to see lots of sick people, and there would be this threat of everyone dying of disease and all that jazz. Unfortunately, the Black Death is hardly mentioned in the book at all. Gabi and her family worry about it as something to come about in the future, but it's not really part of the main plotline. I was disappointed.

However, even with all my complaints, I couldn't deny that this is a really great book. The pacing was just ride, as per usual. The action was snappy, and Gabi is a good MC. The romance took a bit of a corny tone, but I could forgive it, especially with how Bergren dealt with marriage and sex and the maturity of deciding on settling down. Gabi deals with some pretty weighty topics as a 17-year-old, but this felt legit to me, as she's been thrust into a time when it was acceptable to be married at 15.

Bergren has said on her website that she would like to continue writing books in this series, telling Lia's story, but nothing has been contracted yet. I'm REALLY hoping that we get to read Tributary, the planned fourth book. I would pretty much die if I got to read about Lia and Luca from Lia's POV.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torrent.

12/05/2011 page 40
10.0% "Yes, I AM reading this entire series in the span of a week. So what?"
12/06/2011 page 113
29.0% "I am sensing a delicious love triangle right now. Lord Greco, anyone???" 1 comment
12/09/2011 page 155
40.0% "Imma be real. Greco = way sexier than Marcello. Just sayin."