Judy's Reviews > WWW: Wonder

May 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011, adult, sci-fi
Read from May 26 to 27, 2011

The trilogy had an interesting concept, but I felt overall it was a bit too simplistic and optimistic. There was something lacking in the way that Webmind operated, and also a clumsiness with regards to his enemies. The grandiose ending had me rolling my eyes a bit since this whole book was peppered with cheese.

I also thought that the way Sawyer dealt with people with disabilities bordered on offensive (with blindness, with people with autism, and with spinal cord injuries). There was an uncomfortable vibe I had throughout the whole trilogy when he dealt with these topics, like the author did not give them much thought.

Lots of flash and pop culture references, but the substance wasn't there, even with the ideas of morality, religion and ethics. There was an undertone of preachiness that I did not appreciate. Sci-fi lite perhaps?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.

05/27/2011 page 241
71.0% "Interesting enough concept. I liked how the Hobo and Webmind storylines met. The frequent pop culture references are quite irritating though instead of making it familiar."