Brad Cramer's Reviews > To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson

To the Rescue by Heidi S. Swinton

May 26, 11

bookshelves: biography, religion

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Certainly one of the best biographies. Besides being incredibly uplifting and inspiring, there is also fascinating history. I knew Thomas Monson is a great man, but I didn't know how much he has done behind the scenes for the expansion of the LDS church. Anyone familiar with divided Germany will be amazed at how he earned the trust of the Communist government, even as a religious leader. It is inspiring to read about the faithful East German saints. I was awestruck as I read about the government not only allowing the saints to worship, but eventually they granted permission to construct a temple and other meeting houses. This was absolutely unheard of in Communist Germany.

If there was one thing President Monson's life that stands out as something I want to incorporate into my own is his genuine compassion for everyone. He cares about people regardless of their standing in life. The stories of how he would take time out his busy schedule to visit a nursing home, or even send a note to a longtime friend are things that are all too often lost in our self-absorbed and over-crowded lives.

This is a great read whether you share the LDS faith or not. I read biographies of great people because I hope to absorb a small piece of that greatness into my own life. Thomas S. Monson is a great person and there is so much to absorb by reading his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Rescue.