Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > The Dream Thief

The Dream Thief by Shana Abe

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, favorite-series
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: The first book, Smoke Thief!
Read from June 03 to 04, 2011, read count: 1

Wow! I read this in two sittings - long ones though! I love this author's writing and so glad I discovered her and this series. Romance, humor, adventure, fantasy, and wonderful characters all woven together with beautiful descriptions of people and places. Although I understood the legend of the drakon through reading the first book, The Smoke Thief, I did find it confusing at first. The two page prologue in The Dream Thief is shorter, and I wish i had read it before starting the first book. It's an incredible legend going back many many generations to a time of beautiful dragons who were drawn to gems and heard their songs. These dragons ruled all in their domain. Over the centuries the Others (mankind) hunted them and discovered their secrets, but the drakon also discovered the secrets of man. They became shape-shifters and learned to deal with their environment, but never forgot that they are not human and have a loyalty to the tribe to keep their secrets.

This second book in the series is the story of Zane who we met in the first book as the street urchin whose life was saved by Rue, the smoke thief. Now Zane has grown up and I loved the wonderful man he has become. Shaped by his childhood and relationship with the drakon as the only human they trust, he is tough, hard as nails, competent, ruthless, but capable of great loyalty and in the end.....well, no spoilers. Then we have Lia, daughter of Kit and Rue, the tribe alphas, from the first book. Lia is a princess of the drakon but apparently with no gift or powers like her older sisters. Zane is sent on a dangerous quest by Kit and Rue and that quest is the story within this book. Innocent little Lia should have had no part in this quest, but Lia is not all that she seems to be which Zane finds out along the way. There is intrigue and danger and of course a beautifully written romance as the story unfolds.

I think I liked The Smoke Thief just a little bit better than this one, perhaps because there was more of the amazing descriptions of disappearing from human form into smoke and then, at times, into a dragon. Those segments of The Smoke Thief are so beautifully done and magical, and not as much a part of this story. But having just finished this book, it is a five star for me and I am awaiting the third book!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Thief.

06/03/2011 page 157