Heather Furlow's Reviews > The Carrie Diaries

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

May 26, 11

Read in May, 2011

After trying to read Candace Bushnell's "Sex and the City," and being unable to get past the first few pages, I wasn't sure how much I would like this early version of Carrie's life. But as a huge SATC fan, I had to give it a try...and I was not disappointed!

In fact, I was totally sucked in to the gritty and entertaining tone and setting of this early world that Carrie grew up in. The Carrie in "Carrie Diaries" is a little different from the HBO Carrie, she can cook, she seems to care more about feminism then fashion (although Bushnell still hints at her cool twist on trends) and she has two sisters and a rather burdened father who is solely responsible for looking out for the three girls after their mother's death. The book gives some insight into the root of Carrie's trouble with men, her passion for writing and the strong ties she has to her mother and how she lived. What kind of a woman is Carrie Bradshaw's mother? As readers, we learn in bits and pieces that she was a headstrong, independent, intelligent woman who could intimidate even the surliest of men with her wit and confidence.

All in all, it satisfied my curiosity with Carrie's childhood and family life. One of the few things I find odd about the SATC series is the fact that her family is NEVER mentioned except for one episode that focuses on fathers, where she briefly mentions her father. That's it. I loved learning more about one of my favorite characters. Can't wait to read the second book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carrie Diaries.