Kate Pierson's Reviews > The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall

203364
May 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, best-read-2011, family, i-love-new-england, laugh-out-loud, love-the-setting, made-me-cry
Read from May 26 to 28, 2011

The Penderwick series keeps getting better. Point Mouette is the best yet. So much to like. The whole book is summer, free summer. My favorite scene is the marshmallow roast on the beach. Could anything be more summerish than that?

And, ah, the characters. The Penderwick girls are refreshingly bright. They have interests, which is a quality I admire in anyone, fictional or not. Skye has her soccer and the universe. She thinks of black holes, black holes when her duties get too overwhelming. Jane is, of course, a kindred spirit with her books and daydreams. And the Firegod. Batty has her music and her Hound. Rosalind is off-stage for most of this installment, but the scene at the very end where Rosalind and Batty reunite is so wonderful (I cried).

The setting is strong throughout the story, the middle is good for lots of laughs, and the end brings the (happy) tears.

What a great book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks at Point Mouette.