Jackie's Reviews > Lady in Waiting

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner

F_50x66
May 26, 11

I didn't actually love this book. I found the story less than compelling. However, I still always look for a book by Ms. Meissner because I so love her writing. It's kind of strange to like the writing, but not the book. After all, the writing is what makes the book. But in this case, I need to separate the plot from the actual pictures the words paint.

I wasn't awfully enamored of the story. I was by turns irritated and pained by the actions of the characters. (And I did grow weary of the dress descriptions. They somehow didn't ring very true to me. But then what do I - or any of us - really know of the minutiae of the 1500's?) I do, however, appreciate Ms. Meissner's support of fidelity and her apparent dedication to writing clean literature. Those things will keep me coming back to her books.

There were a couple passages I note here simply because I loved the imagery and don't want to forget:

"An audible sigh seemed to escape the box as fresh air crawled inside for the first time in who knows how long. Wilson had rejoined me, and he heard the sigh too. It was as if the box was whispering, "At last...."

"Most of the time I could forget Stacy was the daughter of missionary parents. Then there were moments, like that one, where I would almost hear the swishing sound as I brushed up against her confident faith."

"My mother, a dressmaker also - and a fine one - told me once that black is the color that whispers. Crimson shouts, yellow laughs, blue and green sing, white heralds, and violet woos. But black is always hushed and at times silent. I asked her what does black whisper, and she told me when you are victorious, it whispers applause, and when you are grieved, it whispers condolences. What if you are neither? I asked. And she said that is when you wear a different color."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady in Waiting.