Lisa Elizabeth's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jun 05, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, historical, mystery, weres-shifters, favorites, vampires, steampunk
Read from May 26 to 27, 2011

From the very first page, I was captivated by the witty writing style and delicious turns of phrase. A wonderful start to a great series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Gail Carriger
“I may be a werewolf and Scottish, but despite what you may have read about both, we are not cads!”

Gail Carriger
“My dearest girl,' said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, 'such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?'

Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. 'My goodies,' she warned.

Humans,' chuckled the vampire, 'so possessive.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia figured, delightedly, that this meant he did, in fact, tend to traipse around his private apartments in the altogether. Marriage was becoming more and more of an attractive prospect.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia suspected Lord Maccon's handling was a tad more than was strictly called for under the circumstances, but she secretly enjoyed the sensation. After all, how often did a spinster of her shelf life get manhandled by an earl of Lord Maccon's peerage? She had better take advantage of the situation.”
tags: humor

Gail Carriger
“He was so very large and so very gruff that he rather terrified her, but he always behaved correctly in public, and there was a lot to be said for a man who sported such well-tailored jackets---even if he did change into a ferocious beast once a month.”

Gail Carriger
“In this particular instance, he stroked her hand fondly. There was no attraction in the movement. "Sweetling," he had once said, "you are at no more risk with me in that regard than you are in danger of me unexpectedly biting you--both being equal impossibilities. In the one case, I do not possess the necessary equipment upon contact, in the other case you do not.”

Gail Carriger
“A vampire, like a lady, never reveals his true age.”

Gail Carriger
“He is clearly bookish. I did not follow a single word of their conversation at dinner last night, not one jot of it. He must be bookish.”

Gail Carriger
“Miss Tarabotti was not one of life's milk-water misses--in fact, quite the opposite. Many a gentleman had likened his first meeting with her to downing a very strong cognac when one was expecting to imbibe fruit juice--that is to say, startling and apt to leave one with a distinct burning sensation.”

Gail Carriger
“Highland werewolves had a reputation for doing atrocious and highly unwarranted *things*, like wearing smoking jackets to the dinner table.”

Gail Carriger
“Cats were not, in her experience, an animal with much soul. Prosaic, practical little creatures as a general rule. It would suit her very well to be thought catlike.”
tags: cats

Gail Carriger
“How ghastly for her, people actually thinking, with their brains, and right next door. Oh, the travesty of it all.”

Gail Carriger
“You are about as covert as a sledgehammer.”

Gail Carriger
“Stop playing verbal games with me, madam, or I shall go out into that ballroom, find your mother, and bring her here”

Gail Carriger
“She filed the image away as an excellent and insulting question to ask the earl at an utterly inappropriate future moment.”

Gail Carriger
“I believe the defining moment was when certain persons, who shall remain nameless, objected to my fuchsia silk striped waistcoat. I loved that waistcoat. I put my foot down, right then and there; I do not mind telling you!" To punctuate his deeply offended feelings, he stamped one silver-and-pearl-decorated high heel firmly. "No one tells me what I can and cannot wear!" He snapped up a lace fan from where it lay on a hall table and fanned himself vigorously with it for emphasis.”

Gail Carriger
“The voice was low and tinged with a hint of Scotland. It would have caused Alexia to shiver and think primal monkey thoughts about moons and running far and fast, if she'd had a soul. Instead it caused her to sigh in exasperation and sit up.”

Gail Carriger
“I kissed her," he explained, aggrieved.

"Mmm, yes, I had the dubious pleasure of witnessing that, ah-hem, overly public occurrence." Lyall sharpened his pen nib, using a small copper blade that ejected from the end of his glassicals.

"Well! Why hasn't she done anything about it?" the Alpha wanted to know.

"You mean like whack you upside the noggin with that deadly parasol of hers? I would be cautious in that area if I were you.”

Gail Carriger
“Goodness gracious me,' exclaimed Alexia, 'what are you wearing? It looks like the unfortunate progeny of an illicit union between a pair of binoculars and some opera glasses. What on earth are they called, binocticals, spectoculars?”
tags: humor

Gail Carriger
“Ivy Hisselpenny was the unfortunate victim of circumstances that dictated she be only-just-pretty, only-just-wealthy, and possessed of a terrible propensity for wearing extremely silly hats.”

Gail Carriger
“The vampire's eyes were open, and he was staring at her intently. It was as though he were trying to speak to her with simply the power of a glare.
Alexia did not speak glare-ish.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia blinked stupidly at the Beta from around the earl’s upper arm. Her heart was doing crazy things, and she still could not locate her kneecaps. She took a deep breath and put some serious attention into tracking them down.”

Gail Carriger
“She sifted, sighed, and stared up at the ceiling, trying to think about anything but Lord Maccoon, her current predicament, or Lord Akeldama's safety. Which meant she could do nothing but reflect on the complex plight of her mama's more recent embroidery project. Thins, in itself, was a worse torture than any her captors could devise.”

Gail Carriger
“Oh, Herbert," she said pleadingly to her silent husband, "you must make him marry her! Call for the parson immediately! Look at them... they are...," she sputtered, "canoodling!”

Gail Carriger
“You do realise modern social mores exist for a reason?"
"I was hungry, allowances should be made.”

Gail Carriger
“With a resigned shrug, she screamed and collapsed into a faint. She stayed resolutely fainted, despite the liberal application of smelling salts, which made her eyes water most tremendously, a cramp in the back of one knee, and the fact that her new ball gown was getting most awfully wrinkled.”

Gail Carriger
“Please, Lord Maccon, use one of the cups. My delicate sensibilities.”
The earl actually snorted.
“My dear Miss Tarabotti, if you possessed any such things, you certainly have never shown them to me.”

Gail Carriger
“A man was attacking me with a wet handkerchief.”

Gail Carriger
“What if I arrange to be around Lord Akeldama during the full moon?”
The earl looked daggers.
“I am certain he would be extremely helpful in a fight. He could ruthlessly flatter all your attackers into abject submission.”

Gail Carriger
“My father,” she admitted, “was of Italian extraction. Unfortunately, not an affliction that can be cured.” She paused. “Though he did die.”

Gail Carriger
“Lord Maccon looked up. “Grovel, you say?”
Lyall did not glance away from the latest vampire report he was perusing. “Grovel, my lord.”

Gail Carriger
“Uh, my lord, I am not actually food. You do realize this, yes?”

“Conall,”
“Aye, Alexia?” He looked up at her. Was that fear in his caramel eyes?
“I am going to take advantage of you,” she said”

Gail Carriger
“Well, proud Mary's fat arse!”

Gail Carriger
“Mrs. Loontwill did what any well-prepared mother would do upon finding her unmarried daughter in the arms of a gentleman werewolf: she had very decorous, and extremely loud, hysterics.”

Gail Carriger
“Hello, princess,” said Lord Maccon to the vampire.
“Got yourself into quite a pickle this time, didn't you?”
Lord Akeldama looked him up and down. “My sweet young naked boy, you are hardly one to talk. Not that I mind, of course.”

Gail Carriger
“Ooo,” said Alexia, fascinated, “it shrinks back down again. The books didn't detail that occurrence.”
The earl laughed. “You must show me these books of yours.”

Gail Carriger
“Well, my love,” said Alexia with prodigious daring to Lord Maccon, “shall we?” The earl started to move forward and then stopped abruptly and looked down at her, not moving at all. “Am I?”

“Are you what?” She peeked up at him through her tangled hair, pretending confusion. There was no possible way she was going to make this easy for him.

“Your love?”

“Well, you are a werewolf, Scottish, naked, and covered in blood, and I am still holding your hand.”

He sighed in evident relief. “Good. That is settled, then.”

Gail Carriger
“These feelings you engender in me, my lord, are most indelicate. You should stop causing them immediately.”

Gail Carriger
“Mr. Haverbink bowed deeply, muscles rippling all up and down his back, and lumbered from the room. Miss Hisselpenny sighed and fluttered her fan. "Ah, for the countryside, what scenery there abides..., " quoth she. Miss Tarabotti giggled. "Ivy, what a positively wicked thing to say. Bravo.”

Gail Carriger
“The Earl of Woolsey was indeed completely nude. He did not seem particularly perturbed by this fact, but Miss Tarabotti felt the sudden need to close her eyes tight and think about asparagus or something equally mundane. Coiled about him as she was, her chin wedged over one of his massive shoulders, she was being forced to look down, directly at a nicely round, but embarrassing bare, moon. And not the kind that caused werewolves to change either. Although it did seem to be changing aspects of her own anatomy that she would rather not think about. It was all a very heady - or bottomy? -experience.”
Gail Carriger, Soulless

05/26/2011 "Barely started and I already love this book! Hilarious!"