Colleen Venable's Reviews > The True Meaning of Smekday

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Mar 16, 08

bookshelves: mid-grade-fiction, books-that-made-me-cry
Read in March, 2008

It took me a bit to get into this one, but perhaps that was because I picked it up 100% convinced it was going to be my new favorite book in the world before I read a single character. As soon as J.Lo appeared I was HOOKED. His Balki-an charm, urinal cake eating habits, and hysterical integrated "The History of the Boov" mini-comics won me over in no time. I've been a fan of Rex's picture books for years with a lovely collection of signed books on my shelf, each one received while I was red-faced and mutter-y at the face of THE REX, and each one awesome. I think everyone in the world should read this book if only for the broom closet joke (which made me laugh much longer than I should have) and the lovely map of the "new united states" which is simply Arizona with a large Texas-shaped middle. Rex's illustrations are particularly at their best here and Gratuity is a unique and likable narrator. Like the sap I am, I teared up happily at the last line. Man I think I need to make a bookshelf for things that made me cry! I'm pathetic, but this book, this book is pretty darn fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Meaning of Smekday.