Maddy Gardiner's Reviews > The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

F 50x66
May 26, 11

Read in May, 2011

I started to read this a couple of years ago, but after seeing the movie I was instantly drawn back to this book. I did not complete reading the book the first time, due to being a little bit lazy, but after seeing the movie I fell in love and decided it would be a great read for my independant CA project.

The story starts off in the town of Marblehead Massachusetts. Two young brothers, Charlie and Sam were the best of friends. Their mom decided to leave one night and Charlie took over to babysit Sam. They decided to watch a baseball because they were in love with the game. They then stole their neighbors car because they were sick of being stuck inside their home. On the way to their destination, Charlie and Sam are dicussing the characteristics of the moon, and Charlie failed to see a semi truck on the roads. Both in life threatening conditions, Charlie gets resusitated by a man in the ambulance and Sam passes away. When both in critical conditions, Charlie promises Sam that they will never leave eachother.

As this story goes on it tells how Charlie has grown up and is working in the cemetary. Every evening he makes a stop in the forest to play with Sam. Charlie has a special gift of seeing Ghosts, not just his brother, he can also see his best friend. He then meets a girl by the name of Tess, who sails just like Charlie once did. They end up falling in love, and I will not spoil the rest of the story.

Ben Sherwood's style of writing reminds me a lot of Nicholas sparks, the great detail and the way emotions are conveyed throughout the book. They both are very well at getting the audiences attention and getting a few tears out of you!

Overall, great story line and an amazing book. Although, it was a bit confusing at first, if you continue to read, it all makes sense towards the middle of the book.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud.